PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Thoughts on the Hardy HBX, good rod!

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Thoughts on the Hardy HBX, good rod!

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the board, after Paul's recommendation!

I have two Hardy HBX 9' #6's, and i would highly recommend them. I would describe these as progressive, with a very fast recovery. Quite a lovely tool indeed for FISHING DISTANCES (just casting the leader to about 100') and i do favour progressive rod actions, rather than tip action. The reason for this is the fact i use a pull through stroke (as Mel Krieger said "like throwing a javelin") which you can't do with a tip action rod, you have to push them through the stroke (don't know if you agree, Paul?) rod action is a very personal thing.

I spent a very long time at Sportfish in the UK trying various rods (just something to do one weekend!) and the line i use for testing is the competition version of the scientific anglers mastery expert distance. I know for a fact that this line sits in the bounds of a true line weight (my #6 has a 26m/85' head, and the first 30' is exactly 160 grains. I weighed it to make sure) the line is progressive, so it shouldn't under load or over load the rod at any distance. By the way, the Scott radian is a particular favourite of mine. But that's another topic!

Here is the twist!

In my opinion the HBX, with it's recommended line weight, was a tad too much. As soon as i started to carry more line, i could feel the rod becoming spongy (a bit like waving a wet sock around). Overloaded! Especially with the whole head out.

I then put my #5 MED on the rod, and it was absolutely great. It never overloaded or underloaded the rod, and quite frankly was a joy to use. That's just me, though.

If you do get a HBX i would highly recommend trying a line that is one true line weight under what it is rated for. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Let me know your thoughts? Who else has one?

All the best

Nick
Attachments
HBX black and white.jpg
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Thoughts on the Hardy HBX, good rod!

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

What's a tip action rod?

And welcome to the board!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Lasse,

I'm sure you know :upside:

Tip action rods flex in the upper third :pirate: I find that anglers do exchange terms a lot. My feeling is that Fast, medium and slow describe the recovery of the rod, and tip-through action describe how a rod bends when it is flexed and loaded.

What rod do you like to use for general trout fishing, Lasse?

Thank you for the welcome!

Kind regards

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Nick, welcome to the Board :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm The reason for this is the fact i use a pull through stroke (as Mel Krieger said "like throwing a javelin") which you can't do with a tip action rod, you have to push them through the stroke
Hi Nick,

I think we met at Sportfish - I was with Tracy from the BFCC.

Welcome to Sexyloops.

With the pleasantries over :D; I thought I'd ask about your statement above, why do you think you can't use a pulling stroke with a fast action rod? I find I can use any stroke I like with any action of rod :???:

All the best, James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know the model by the way, but I do like a rod that I can feel flex under the grip. Rod ratings are quite subjective as well as related to purpose. Even with the HT6 I’ll often drop to a 5MED if I want a bit more pace to the cast. For example all the teaching in the APP was done with a six weight line. But the “freestyle” video is a 5-line. I use the 5MED on this rod in the WC Championships. But I always fish it with a six.

It wasn’t that long ago that rods came along with multiple rod ratings on the handle 5/6, 5/6/7 etc. With two ratings the general suggestion was a DT with the lower rating and a WF with the upper rating. However since line weights are now all over the spectrum and usually heavier than AFFTA/AFTM it’s become rather complicated. It’s almost getting to the point where the caster needs a professional “rod fit”.

On the good news front it’s about every rod will cast just about every line. So it’s still the driver that matters most.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Personally I do find rods that flex into the butt better for ‘pulling’ strokes. That may be a feeling thing or a rod bend thing. I know Mel was of the same opinion. I haven’t thought about it for years however. :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

I find this pulling/pushing a bit strange.
A short while ago someone told me I am not pulling.
I believe it’s all in the head. In my head I am mostly thinking about pulling the line with the rod tip.
How do you see if someone is pulling or pushing?

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

BTW Thanks for the review Nick and welcome to the board. Maybe I should put my question in it’s own thread.

I have also cast the HBX #6. It is a nice rod.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Pushing/Pulling is very simple of those who think that way, and very complicated for everyone else :p

It's basically one of Mel's teaching tools. He would teach to imagine that the line, at the beginning of the forward cast, is attached to a concrete block and to try to move it. Pulling is essentially bringing shoulder rotation into play and pushing is extension of the elbow. I think the ideal cast has a bit of both. However as a teaching tool getting someone to use their elbow, or even their whole body, I think is great.

Quite an old page here from Carlos http://www.sexyloops.com/carlos/pushandpull.shtml

I learned it a couple of years before I started Sexyloops. Back then it was actually quite revolutionary.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”