PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New SW line by RIO

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: New SW line by RIO

Post by Graeme H »

I’ve bought one. It’s a one line weight too heavy. If you own the HT10, buy the 9wt flats pro

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

SA also has a lot of their lines marked "one line weight heavier". But what the H..l is the point? I can't (almost) understand MPX et al. that are half a rating heavier, but one - or for that matter two? Whty not just mark the true to standard and let angelrs know the obvious: Up-line by all means if you need it for whatever various reasons.

This is getting to me, and is completely off topic, so let me round off by saying that I haven't tried the line. There - back on topic :-).

L
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Half a lineweight is about as far out as can be....
As is upline/downline.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I have cast a few of them (flatspro lines), although I don't any and would not buy one.

They were all 12 or 11 wts and they worked well on high end similar rated saltwater rods.

I could not find a reason for their extra cost, nor could I understand the 3 colors. I found the color scheme to be confusing and was unable to explain the reasoning when asked.

They sell surprisingly well at the shop. Those who buy them usually do not seem to be well versed, but more likely well off financially. They seem to usually expect that if it costs the most there must be some advantage. And since price is not an issue, why not?

Maybe they are more durable?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I bought one because I wanted a tropical WF line with an intermediate clear tip. Unfortunately I didn’t know it was a line weight heavy at the time. The clear intermediate section is also probably too short for my needs.

The colours are there to help the caster know where the line changes character.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
sms

Post by sms »

In my case I am interested because my needs are:
- strong (min 50lb breaking strength)
Leaves A-flo Giant Trevally & Depth Finder Big Game, Cortland GT/Tuna, SA Big Water Taper, Rio Leviathan, Tropical GT, Billfish & Direct Core Flats Pro
- full line
Rio Billfish drops out
- full intermediate
A-flo GT intermediate, Rio Leviathan intermediate & Direct Core Flats Pro intermediate left
- works from 10C/50F up to tropical heat (needs to be stretchable to get straight)
Rio Leviathan intermediate & (probably) Direct Core Flats Pro intermediate left
- stiff
Rio Leviathan intermediate & (probably) Direct Core Flats Pro intermediate left
- longer head than Rio Leviathan intermediate
Direct Core Flats Pro left
- lighter than Leviathan intermediate (mine are 630gr head); available in real #11-#13
Direct Core Flats Pro intermediate left

So, if the Flats Pro full intermediate is as good as Leviathan when it comes to stiffness and temperature range, it is the only line that fills all my needs.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
crunch

Post by crunch »

Sakke, what if you make a shooting line taking stiff mono and push it inside a strong braid and then coat it smooth using PU or other glue? If you find larger braid you can use same method making line heads stronger?

Esa
sms

Post by sms »

I want full line and I don’t think I would get a decent coating quality either in that kind of a diy job

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

One line weight heavier is total nonsense. Graeme’s “9” works perfectly on the HT10 as expected. In the case of all HTs if the only choice is a mid point 1/2 weight line then buy the lighter one. SA’s Infinity Salt 9 (9.5) and Redfish 9 (9.5) would be my choice for the HT10 for example.

Let’s get this flyline database populated! I’ve got scales and some new lines. I’ll weigh some this week.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

Yeah, but I don’t care. If I want a 12 and know that 11 is 12, I get the 11 which is 12. 🤣

Btw some lines I’ve recently measured (flats pro only based on specs, not measured), see the other tabs/sheets too.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”