PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Straightening the bottom leg of the loop

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Straightening the bottom leg of the loop

Post by Paul Arden »

For me opening up from Pull-back to 170 has always been moving up a gear. I’m sure you’ll find the same. With the shift to stiffer rods the gear change isn’t as apparent but it’s still very clear.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:08 pm For me opening up from Pull-back to 170 has always been moving up a gear. I’m sure you’ll find the same. With the shift to stiffer rods the gear change isn’t as apparent but it’s still very clear.

Cheers, Paul
Oke. Does this relate to the original question?
Regardless of the definitions of slide and drag (on which I agree with you), I noticed that that by putting extra tension on the bottom leg, while the loop is still unrolling, removed a lot of the sack.
I am going to experiment more with this, because it is not something I ever focused on before. Just wondering if someone else did.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You have to feed line thought the rings at some point in order to return the haul. It’s possible to increase tension as the loop is unrolling. It’s possible to have a faster line in the first place. Anything that doesn’t cause detriment to the forward cast is ok. For me it’s about getting max carry as straight as possible. Boarding a plane!!

Back later!

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:20 pm For me it’s about getting max carry as straight as possible
That is exactly what I am trying to achieve.
Have a save flight.

Cheers, Bart
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Bart,

You may find this thread quite useful. It's long, but Carl's thoughts are in line with yours (and mine).

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks Graeme!
I have not yet read it all, but it is very interesting.

Cheers, Bart
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Graeme H wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:13 am Bart,

You may find this thread quite useful. It's long, but Carl's thoughts are in line with yours (and mine).

Cheers,
Graeme
Paul, in Carl's thread post #1 there appears to be an image missing; above the paragraph starting: "In the loop above you can see various casting faults."

I know sometimes forum software upgrades lose things

Andrew
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I remember that post, especially the bit where Carl says - "At the BFCC, I applied this stuff and won everything. It got boring. show up, win everything. go home. So I started to give it to my competitors so there as at least a challenge."

On reading this I thought I'd look back through the results archives to find the time when he 'won everything'. Well guess what, I didn't find it - I did find some wins but certainly not what you'd call 'winning everything'. I went on to add up the numbers of wins that the more prolific casters had scored and found that Carl just about scraped into the top ten, a position he's since lost.

As such, some things should be read with a bit a caution regarding the confirmation biases of the author.

James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Andrew,

I’m not sure if the images were uploaded or linked to. Uploaded images should be fine with all conversions. The problem occurs when external images are linked to which are then removed or deleted. Unfortunately there is very little I can do about that apart from forced uploads.

I did of course learn Carl’s version of pullback/thrust. I think it’s something we have all played with. You need to learn all styles in order to compare them.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Zhongxiang

Post by Zhongxiang »

In my case I'd save the space of pulling the bottom leg for repositioning my rod back to the loop plane which has been always a problem of mine. I think my line speed is enough for the bottom leg to be pulled up and straight so avoid ticking. However, when I'm reaching my carry limit I do find myself got nervous and pulling or creeping a bit unconsciously.

Cheers
TC

Return to “Flycasting”