PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Distance cast with line weight

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Distance cast with line weight

Post by James9118 »

Boisker wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm I must have been in a relaxed mood as I generally had a nice easy tempo and was comfortable casting 10’ into the backing.... on a 90’ line I hasten to add... not far I realise, but something I need to get stick in my dopey head :whistle:
Apart from the usual suspect of tracking my usual biggest issue is rushing and over-powering the stroke, however much I realise a smooth steady stroke is the answer I still too often find myself rushing it... perhaps I should go back to my youth and take up the herb again... chilled out casting definitely is a big step forward for me :D
This is the reason why I see many casters (myself included at times) casting further with their warm up casts in competition than when they're told the clock has started.

I think casting is a bit like playing pool - there's an optimum level of inebriation required for best performance.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s interesting. So long as I can still see the other end of the table my pool playing seems to improve the.more lubricated I am. I haven’t experimented to this high degree with casting sport, but you might be onto something. :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 pm The thicker a line is, the less surface it has for the same mass. So the higher weighted lines have less surface based friction for the given mass compared to ligther lines and thus go further.
Regards
Bernd
Bernd,
Can you further explain this? This discounts line friction on the guides I take it.
Lou
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lou Bruno wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:06 pm
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 pm The thicker a line is, the less surface it has for the same mass. So the higher weighted lines have less surface based friction for the given mass compared to ligther lines and thus go further.
Regards
Bernd
Bernd,
Can you further explain this? This discounts line friction on the guides I take it.
Lou
Hi Lou,
sorry my late response.

If you increase the line weight, that means you increase diameter and thus line surface. Let's assume you increase line surface about one. Then line mass will be increased about more than one. That means the relation between mass and line surface gets better, the higher the line class will be. Surface though matches with skin friction for example.
This is why we cast higher line weights further (unless we would cast in space ;) ).
Friction works between the line surface and the rings as well as the air itself. Same effect when you increase line density. Changing from a floating to a slow sinking line brings the same effect.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd, I agree through the air, I disagree through the rings. Not only do thicker lines offer more friction through the rings but any increased weight needs to be lifted and carried to the tip ring. I forgot this once in Norway and it cost me a place in the finals :D

Anyway it’s for this reason that we use thinner shooting lines for distance (usually).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”