PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Accuracy casting, again

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Accuracy casting, again

Post by bartdezwaan »

When accuracy casting, I have a real problem judging the distance of my fly.
I try to hit 60cm targets. The ones at 15m only get in with luck.
I do hover. Any tips, or is this a matter of practising?

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Accuracy casting, again

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s practise Bart and to really focus on the centre of the target and not the target itself. I’m assuming that your second cast always goes in no matter where the first landed? Otherwise that would indicate some other problems which I doubt you have. After 5 minutes do you hit them all?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Bart,

It is practice, practice, practice. I think you need two constants, a fixed delivery trajectory per target and a subconscious feel that you have the right distance. Sighting the fly is great but make it your check mechanism, not your primary indicator. There will be many occasions that the fly is not visible, or only visible on some targets in a court. Of the two constants I refer to above, the former is a prerequisite to the latter and a fundamental to sighting the fly such that your judgment of distance is correct. No point seeing the fly but not being sure that when it becomes visible it results in a perfect score when delivered.
Now to the latter of the two constants I have mentioned above. When I have the time I would like to document some thoughts on what I have learned about body movement (biomechanics) and distance casting technique, as well as my thoughts on accuracy casting. I removed a post I had composed for the thread on biomechanics because I thought it presumptuous and I must admit, I have the same feeling about posting my thoughts here on accuracy casting.
Paul is absolutely correct about practice, and the reason for that is to standardise your stroke for each target in a variable court. Consistency of stroke Is about consistency of trajectory and that builds up that subconscious result of knowing you have the correct distance before delivery. There are a lot of variables but two that I consider important are the line weight you have in the air and the delay time of turnover. Each varies with target distance but both are critical inputs into our subconscious database that feeds into your decision to deliver this false cast for a perfect score. It is no different from any other sport which requires the participant to make judgements of distance, angles, speed, direction etc etc in an instant.
Practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect, so structure your sessions accordingly.

John
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I think there’s something really interesting in the psychology of accuracy casting.
Apart from all the required accurately repeatable casting mechanics, there’s definitely something in the head... well at least for me there is, the moment I practice accuracy (on a field).
It works best for me if my brain relaxes, pretty much thought free... as though i’m not casting at little 10cm white discs on a field.
I had an hour on my local river yesterday, decided I would only fish dry, but with nothing moving was fishing the banks. For 40 mins I completely zoned out, and was landing the fly within a couple of inches of the bank, with loads of slack. It’s as good as I can remember casting in ages... on one run, I stood in the tailout and probably made 15 casts all tight against the right bank from 20-45’, every cast was nailed on. As I moved up to the next run, I can remember thinking that deserved a fish :whistle:

I find that complete focus and removal from all distractions very hard to replicate when actually practicing on a field.. you aren’t consciously thinking of distance, changing trajectory, back cast or anything... just looking at a tiny spot and the fly keeps landing there.

Conversely I have had some practice sessions on the field where after having gone round say 6 targets twice If I’d cast that badly on the river Paul would be able to heard my torrent of abusive language in Malaysia :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D yes I find the same thing when fishing. Without a thought I can place a popper on the bank edge or on a leaf. Accuracy rings are a different problem.

One of the issues is one cast and then a different target length and one cast. In fishing we often can set the target length by moving closer! And then of course there is the ring itself which is a distraction. Casting at leaves is easier than rings.

And finally you have 16 targets and 16 shots and you are under immense pressure because missing or ticking leads to game over and you have to wait another 2 years to play again :D

The best advice I can give is to practise “cold”. Ie just like in the worlds. Come up. Count your score. Mark it down. Then practise. Next day throw cold again. Same in 5WT distance of course. But that’s a little different because you can have a little warmup plan. In accuracy the very first cast counts so you are straight in. That’s very tough.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I think it is important to focus on the outcome, let your conscious mind “see” the fly alight into the hoop while you are false casting. A bit Zen, I know but it is important. Once you start to think about a movement or line length your chances of hitting diminish. Being in the zone is letting it all happen sub consciously and that can only happen if your conscious mind is focused on the perfect outcome.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Steve R. casts through an imaginary tunnel. I imagine an imaginary vortex spiralling out from the centre of the ring sucking my fly down. And of course there is a backcast target that is so important. No thoughts.

It’s funny, I’m going running with my sister tomorrow, who’s also into triathlon. I want to teach her about running technique which is her weakest leg and my strongest. After all the technical stuff and the change of pace and rhythm etc, the most important thing is to stop thinking. Thoughts come with words. Stop the language and you free your mind. I consciously stop thinking in words and that’s when I really run/fly.

Zen and the art of Archery is an amazing book. The target is in your mind. Become the target. I couldn’t agree more John. Makes me wonder if we run/ cast accuracy to free our minds or the other way around.

Zen/ zone in/ zone out. This shift of mind space is the goal. You’ll never be consistent until you stop your thoughts appearing and fucking up your technique!

That’s how I play it. But when I watch the Americans or Norwegians or Australians throw them I know you can’t beat practise without practise :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks for the input guys!

Cheers, Bart
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Great content here......I couldn’t resist adding a few Bruce Lee quotes.....please forgive me lol.

‎The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.

– Bruce Lee

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

– Bruce Lee

Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can.

– Bruce Lee

Jason.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Says it all Jason, wish I could do all three better.

John

Return to “Casting Sport”