PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Beer - Redux

Moderator: Haggisboy

Haggisboy
Answers: 0

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

As previously mentioned on the old board, I think it was Brother jack Kos, manshit section should have a thread on Beer.

Anyway, now that I am planning on making an appearance at the 2013 Loops gathering in Scotland (where the hell exactly is it anyway), I am hoping to brew a batch of special beer for the gathering (This depends on brew schedules and other commitments).

I would be keen for input from attendees for suggestions to a beer style.

Cheers

Campbell
Hamish

Beer - Redux

Post by Hamish »

Campbell - the gathering is in Strathdon, based from the Colquhonnie Hotel. Have a squint:
http://www.thecolquhonniehotel.co.uk/

When it comes to an appropriate beer for the event I'd (personally) suggest something along the lines of a porter, plenty of 'body' to make up for the fact it'll probably be a bit on the nippy side and internal 'fortification' will be needed.
On the other hand - and almost at the opposite end of the scale - an IPA or 'hoppy' type would probably suit most folk who aren't into their proper beers.

My two cents.

H :ninja:

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Hamish, thanks for the info. Aye a porter is a good shout, but an IPA is even better, that is what I would lean towards personally. Not brewed a porter yet, have done a big stout which was good. Will see what porter recipies I can find.
Hamish

Beer - Redux

Post by Hamish »

I'll maybe bring some black isle brewery porter down with me..... I know Ben will drink it :whistle:
http://www.blackislebrewery.com/

H

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
TheBadger

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

Seems I managed to miss this thread entirely!

What did you end up brewing? I have a few goodies on the go at the moment with my flatmate. We've got a Red IPA in bottles (plus another batch of it in the fermenter), a Belgian Strong Pale in bottles, a Coconut Milk Stout in bottles, a SMASH (Single Malt Single Hop) in bottles... then in the fermenters we have a Russian Imperial Stout that's clocking in around the 12% mark that's been aged for a wee while with bourbon barrel chips, the RIPA, and finally a cheeky ginger beer kit.

Beer is G(o)od!
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Hey Jack,

Unfortunately due to a crazy start to the year I never managed to brew a dedicated beer for the gathering, but I did take a selection from the "cellar". The bulk of it was a German style stark bier, think of it as a strong porter fermented with a German yeast. It clocks in around 8%. I also took some Oatmeal Stout and a couple of American Style Barley Wines which I think Joakim was the only person to get one. All the comments were positive which was nice. In the future I may consider a draft system as it would be much easier.

We have a Douple IPA in secondary dry hopping with a mix of NZ & US hops at present which was outstanding last time. We just bottled a Belgian Tripple with Raspberries which is supposedly very nice but needs some aging. The next beer is also a Russian Imperial Stout which we will need to age and a then a rhubarb and Ginger Saison for the "warm" weather if we ever get any.

Are you brewing all grain or extract?
TheBadger

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

Nice, Campbell! They sound great. My flatmate just bought a kegging system, which is pretty damn cool. Very sweet to be able to invite friends round for a proper pint. So far we've only done a wheat in it, but that was very easy drinking.

The tripel sounds like a very interesting drop - how strong of a raspberry flavour do you get from it? Or is it more that sort of back of mouth dark fruits flavour?

I've been all grain for a year or so now, but occasionally we do a kit just to get the turnover going. Couldn't believe the jump in quality once we started all grain brewing.
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

it is a strong raspberry flavour I have been informed. 500g of raspberries in the secondary fermentation. all grain is easy and like u say great tasting beer. we are doing 35litre batches.
TheBadger

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

Cool that sounds really interesting. I haven't really experimented racking beer onto fruits, although I'd like to do a marmalade best bitter in the coming weeks. We're just on 19l batches because of the size of our fermenter. I'd love to do 50l batches, but it's bloody hard to get the equipment for that sort of thing!
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Are you using electricity or gas? A cheap way to make a bigger kettle is get your hands on a 50L stainless steel beer keg, cut the top out with an angle grinder or plasma cutter if you know anyone, and plumb up with pick up tube, false bottom (stainless steel mesh bottom to filter crap out) and ball valve. Your pre boil volume can be up to c.45L

I converted a 68L igloo ice chest to a mashtun which is really efficient.

This system typically yields 32-35L which we bottle up and split three ways.

PM me if you want any more details.

Campbell

Return to “Manshit”