PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rear taper on shooting head

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Rear taper on shooting head

Post by bartdezwaan »

For the Sea Trout Distance event I have been cutting up a fair bit of lines in the last year.
Some lines still have a bit of rear taper and that got me thinking.
Does a rear taper on a shooting head have any advantage/disadvantage?
Would like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Bart
crunch

Re: Rear taper on shooting head

Post by crunch »

I think a rear taper has some advantage when line head weight distribution comes more front biased so head can be longer.

Esa
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

I think, a rear taper does not have any advantages for a competition head.

Thomas E.
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

I have struggled (and I am still struggling) to find the key point that allows, in the STD discipline, to straighten the head more easily.
The problem is that often, especially in low or zero tailing wind conditions, the cast ends up in a pile.
Based on my experience, the back rear in a competition head is very important. Probably everything depends on the launch style, but I found better results with SH's having compound tapers and not simply a DT cut at 27g lenght.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Stefano, does it straighten and then pile up, or doesn't it straighten at all?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Stefano De Martini

Lasse normally the head it starts as a rocket quite straight but during flight sooner or later (mostly later) it crashes. The loop is not consistent. In my opinion this goes better with a rear taper on the sh.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Stefano

In your oppinion, why do you think that is?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao, just back to the original question.
 Bart Im not sure what is the importance of a rare taper on the ST shooting head, BUT...
   I thought I was in a search of a Holly Grail whitin the heads ( length, weight), and I bought, and cut, and, bought and cut...( talking DT line), spend money for nothing I reckon, as on the end of the day I always go back to Mike Barrio heads, the one he made few years back, but doesn't do them anymore.
  I love those heads. 2 lenghnts 15.5m and 17.5m.
I am not sure how he made them, and what is the rare taper profile, but it is DEFENTLY NOT a hard stop taper as from middle length cut DT.
   As Mike doesn't make them anymore, my next go would be Tellis heads.
  As I red recently, there was some swedish records broken with those heads. No need to spend $70 for DT and hope for miracle, when I can spend $55 and get the properly profiled S head.
    Learning to control them and cast them- that is the name of the game.

Cheers
Mike    
Stefano De Martini

Hi Lasse the question does not have a simple answer. Let's take a small step back. I spent thousands of hours trying to improve the cast with the MED and the 170 stopless. I certainly can't say I'm perfect but now I'm more confident that I can have my say. With the seatrout no. Here in Italy we started with the concept of having relatively short SH, derived from DT cut to a weight of 27 grams. We have decidedly improved by adopting the Tellis's SH which certainly represented a decisive step forward. For my nature I always have to experiment and I'm not satisfied with the obvious. Many say that the STD cast is different from the TD one and I wondered why. I tried using the 170 with STD with the "traditional" SH and I found it very difficult.
Wow it is true that you can't do 170 with a SH ... but what is the difference? The force involved, the length of the head and the rear... let me try to put a 12-feet polytip behind and see what happens. From there I noticed that the SH broke down less during the flight. I then used a conical running line (those with surfcasting 0.80 - 0.35 mm) improving again. Then I cut a ST125 at 27g in the rear. Mike didn't agree very much :D Ok definitely better. Next step..cut and weld 'till the desired... All this naturally in the absence of tailing wind. We are used to these situations. Look for example at the latest Tallin results. With the wind things change a lot. We have not yet reached the skill to be able to cast in STD over 60 m but I can say that by dint of experiments with some tailing wind the 50 have been easily overcome. As you read I don't have a "technical" explanation. Maybe someone here more prepared can help me. I rely on objective observations.
Ciao Mike even a pleasure to read you. :O
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

What are the profiles of the “Tellis” and Barrio shooting head lines mentioned above Gents? I presume they have a backtaper.

John

Return to “Casting Sport”