PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ICSF

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: ICSF

Post by Paul Arden »

I think the games could be quite interesting to watch but we really need a good announcer!!! The feedback I’ve had from spectators at several events now is that they have no idea what is going on. Think about the Gamefair casting events and how much of a draw they were 20 years ago - there needs to be an announcer talking about the events, the individuals, and the competition. A good announcer would make all the difference and it’s something we’ve never really had. At the very least for the finals, which I think should all be on one day as they have been in the past!

Anyway John, I didn’t know about ICF/CIPS split. I had no idea they were one association. Can you fill me in with a little history in this regards please?

Many thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dung Fly
Answers: 0

Post by Dung Fly »

At the 2006 ICSF World Championships / Emerald World Masters, had Heywel Morgan as the announcer and what a great job he did. His knowledge on all the casting styles being used, the competitors along with the odd joke was great to witness and be part of.
I've still got the DVD from the event and it was shown on Skysports.

https://inpho.ie/assignment/The-officia ... eJD3HmA..a

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

That was a great tournament Andy. Casters from different casting backgrounds having a go in different events was the highlight for me. The scheduling was terrific, no clashes with events, fly, plug and surf casting together at one venue. Hywell did do a great job.

John
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Paul, Casting sport was part of the world games until 2005,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_a ... orld_Games

Cite from Wiki:
"Casting Sport was part of all World Games until 2005 except in 1989. It was then dropped as the International World Games Association wants the International Casting Sport Federation to come up with new and improved event formats."

.. and this is in my opinion the reason why they fail since years.

The major fault in my opinion is the isolation of casting sport from the real fishing requirements. I mean both gear and techniques, for instance it's very unlikely that anybody would use the T38 or T120 line for fishing. Plug distance 7,5 g is usually won with two body rotations and looks rather like hammer throwing. I don't know if a such a sport on it's own can survive without the support of the anglers. And the average guy does not understand casting at all, they think mad people trying fishing on the lawn.

Fly casting is nearer to fishing requirements; although I don't understand the sense of some specs (e.g. 27g sea trout / 55g salmon distance).
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Torsten,

I agree! I think the 5WT distance took off very much because it was close to everyone’s fishing tackle. I also like the accuracy format in these games (although am pretty poor at it :laugh: ).

More participation is always going to be a problem where most anglers are piss-poor casters and never practise :D Still the competition definitely raises the game for those involved.

There is one area that is completely missing from these games: Presentation Casts. Maybe we could formulate a presentation casts game. I would actually like to see a Spey casting event for single handed rods too. And a “Freestyle” event would be awesome, particularly with lumi-lines, music and fireworks :D

There is much more that can be done for sure. I’m planning a SL gathering next year after the worlds. Bosnia is my preferred destination - good fishing too! Maybe we can try a dry run at some of these events and bounce some ideas around.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Torsten,

I think it is important to look at the reasons Casting is no longer in World Games. It got dropped because it had an unacceptable level of spectator appeal and the litmus test was the number of the public who came and watched. It simply did not draw enough spectators. I like the wording of the cited reason for non admission, a nice way of saying, no spectators, no play.
If the sport is to increase spectator appeal it must be seen as an exciting activity and have visual relativity and instant comparison of casters’ action, scoring and other entertainment type valued indicators which add up to television ratings.
What will be interesting is the number of non competitors or associated people who attend Fly Casting World Championships. I have only attended one (Cumbria) and it was super. I had a great time, but like all the Inland World Championships and World Games I have attended in the past, the question is - did the public rock up to watch and if so, would they pay to do so?
I know the above may be seen as hard, but it is reality. Our success will be measured by where we plateau.
I love casting, find it exciting, engaging, friendly, challenging and a fun pastime, but I have never seen it as popular with fishermen and fisherwomen, even though many have tried, in many countries to increase its profile with the public, fishing and general.
Maybe the next decade of Fly Casting events will result in a change in that public support, I think the jury is out on that, we’ll see.
I think the future is with simple target hitting casting activities that can be held indoors and in schoolyards. It must be visual, short duration and have immediate sound feedback.
In the meantime, and to use an Australian expression, I’ll crawl over broken glass to get to a casting tournament, win, lose or draw. I learn something about myself by engaging with people I like and with whom I share a common passion.

How good is that?

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Just as an aside, has anyone any information about fly fishing, or other fishing events and what support they get from the fishing fraternity in their country? If the future is aligning casting to fishing with respect to gear, activity etc etc, then maybe the success of that will be seen with fishing championships.
I have never competed or attended a fly fishing or other type of fishing championship, do they get the public following such events, or is it like casting?

John

PS Love and share your passion Paul
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It has to be better than watching cricket.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Only when we lose the Ashes
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
Is it correct, that it might very expensive to participate once it will be all together with casting WC.
I heard( maybe wrong) that there are fees up to 800€ to participate in WC of casting.
Now if Swedish WC will combine our fly casting with fishing tackle WC together with ALL casting sport- it seems it might hit our pocket in order to be a part of such an event?

Just asking

Mike

Return to “Casting Sport”