PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Former lurker, picked up the rod again

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Limpe Iven
Answers: 0

Former lurker, picked up the rod again

Post by Limpe Iven »

Hello,
After some 10 years of inactivity i dusted off the flyrods, straightened some lines and started fishing again.
Living and working in the Netherlands where i limit myself to fishing on some small streams, as i did before i stopped fishing.
Have had my share of fishing abroad, several trips to Scandinavia, fishing for grayling and stripping clouser minnows trough the salt, did several trips to warmer destinations like Bonaire, Anegada (BVI), Tortola, must say that the tropical destinations are my favourite, followed by Scandinavia, other then the destination, the company and mindset makes or breaks a trip, in my opinion.

Used to spend a lot of time behind the vise, now i only produce whatever i need on a trip.
Not much of a caster either, used to spend a lot of time on that as well, even was part of group who did synchronized casting :whistle: , not so much for the show but the long and many practice sessions did contribute to my casting skills.
Been lurking this board for a while again, do want to improve my casting so i will get started on some issues that i have, mostly tracking (as i understood from what i've read).
Stated fishing on my local small streams, lots of overhanging trees so learned to cast on a more horizontal plane, stil having issues on the standard overhead cast, but sslowly getting there..

besides fishing i do some technical mambojambo, have my own workshop with machines (how handy to spool up new backing and line with a lathe on hand :laugh: ) and tinker some on old motorcycles, used to be a professional photographer, now my focus is with me, just doing what i like, not so much pleasing other people..planning on spending more time with a flyrod near or in the water..

As for gear, i don't really care for that, still casting with a 5 weight yellowline, most recent tropical trip i took my 8 weight 8.8 blueline salt and a 3w reel, been thinking about a reel with a decent drag tough..

Sofar, my introduction, not afraid to post a casting pic, in wich many many faults are to be seen, but hey, without critic no improvement..

And to close off; torpedo up close...
Graeme H

Re: Former lurker, picked up the rod again

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Limpe,

Welcome back. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey Limpe!! Welcome to the Board!! :D

10 years without fly fishing? Armed robbery? :laugh:

Synchronised Fly Casting? You know that’s something that has come up from time to time but we’ve never formally done it. Tell us more!!

Destination fly fishing is the best. That’s pretty much what I do but I move there to do it :).

Would like to see an old bike you’ve fixed up. Improving your casting - no problems! Great to have you on the Board.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I think I saw you guys perfrom once at a dutch fair, William Van der Vorst was in the group too right?

Welcome to the board 😊

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Thanks, will post that motorcycle in the "manshit" section, one of the reasons fishing was on hold.
@Lasse, i think there was a guy called William in our group, the whole thing was an idea of Had Verheyen whom i spend some time with, fishing, casting, music, but mostly listening to a lifetime of storys related to fishing and casting.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Just imagine ten sexyloopers doing this... :D

[media] [/media]

(Best with Lumi-lines!).
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 am Just imagine ten sexyloopers doing this... :D

[media] [/media]

(Best with Lumi-lines!).
Imagine the amount of untangling in the first practice sessions....... :D
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hey Limpe!
Welcome back. Didn't you take the pictures for the casting article we wrote in the VNV magazine?
We now have Fly Casting Sport NL. Hope to see you on one of our meetings. All focused on casting.

Cheers
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Hey Bart!
Yes, we once made an attempt to shoot some decent pictures. Not sure if i still have those.
I read that you where doing kinda good in a recent casting event, good for you!
I'll watch the local or Dutch events, might drop by someday!

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”