PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Barbes vs barbless

Moderator: Paul Arden

johnnybg
Answers: 0

Barbes vs barbless

Post by johnnybg »

I've been thinking of going barbless for a while. The main reason is that 99% of my fishing is c&r. Besides, being better for the fish and its survival (which is a very valid point) are there any benefits to the angler and here I'm not thinking of the time is set the fly in my jacket, ear or similar.

Are there any advantages in regards of:
- Setting the hook
- Landing the fish
- etc.

I believe that I might loose more fish, but I'm not sure how significant a role the barb plays in this regard.
johnnybg

Re: Barbes vs barbless

Post by johnnybg »

Oh, my fishing primarily consists of stillwater (saltwater) fishing for sea run browns if that's an important information
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

A barbless hook penetrates easier all the way to the bend, when its deep, and one keeps tension on the line, it is practucally impossible for the hook to fall out.

So nada to loosing more fish 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Johnny,

I haven’t fished a barbed hook in over 25 years. It’s a simple matter to crush the barb with some flat needle nosed pliers.

If it was up to me I would outlaw barbs and make them a thing of the past. I don’t allow anyone who fishes on my boats to fish barbed flies. So that should tell you what I think about them :D

C&R is for the future. Barbless is definitely the way to go. You’ll never look back! And well done for making this important step.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Longer answer (was having breakfast :D)

It’s my opinion that you might lose the odd fish at first, when you make the transition, ultimately you will hook and land more. So for that reason there are no reasons not to change. However even if we did land the odd less fish it wouldn’t matter to me at all. It would be a tiny price to pay for the ease of release, less damage to the fish and a lower mortality. After all, we are doing this for fun, fish are part of that game; barbs really have no part in that. For me barbs is like a big “fuck you” to the fish.

I’m going to tell you this... Sometimes barbless hooks drop out in the net. Very rarely do they drop out while playing fish. Sometimes even with barbless hooks it’s hard to release the fly and you need to cut the line close to the fly to save the fish. Getting broken with barbless flies is not so much of a problem because you know the fly will drop out easier. I’ve been broken on fish on poppers and found my popper floating five minutes later :laugh:

I just tell everyone the rules in the Jungle are barbless hooks, C&R only. I’ll be helping manage a Mahseer fishery next year and those WILL be the rules :laugh:

One final thought if you are losing fish after the change then have a close look at your hooks. Long shanked hooks with short barbless points can lever out while playing. But apart from that - and a few issues on Intermediate lines when I first changed - never any problems.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

What about hook-thickness?
Thinner hooks make smaller holes, less chance of losing that thinner hook (when keeping pressure)? Makes sense?

Depending on targeted species of course.
johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Sounds right. I believe it's the same principle that applies when pinching the barb and getting a lower wire diameter so to speak. Also, Jens Bursell conducted some studies on this topic: http://bursell.dk/artikler/saltwater/hook-test.pdf
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks guys I’ll read the article. It’s not something I’ve ever considered when it comes to hook choice and I’ve always looked at shape, weight, strength and how the hook swims.

Thanks,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ACW

Post by ACW »

My first action when dressing all my flys ,that includes salmon flys is to debarb,been doing it for years .
Rarely have fish fall of
even did it for the grayling bugs i used to give guests on my grayling days
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting article. But it is all about barbs :( Penetrating beyond the barb or the fish is lost. If that is the problem then you’re better off with barbless. Even if you are fishing for the pot, you are always going to catch small undersized fish. Barbs in my opinion are for holding bait on the hooks, not for holding fish during the fight. It’s completely unnecessary to have them on flies. I thought barbs were a thing of the past. I was rudely awakened last year when I was told 80% of Tasmanian anglers were still fishing barbs. I guess that’s not the only place!!

Very odd and I think it’s mostly about confidence. We promote ourselves as being good for fish, we protect their environment, we are C&R, we fish barbless. I was shocked in Tasmania and I’m shocked again. I think we probably have to start promoting the fact that if you fish barbless hooks then you’ll get a better hook hold and land more fish. And that’s probably the reality.

But it’s mostly about releasing the fish. It’s so easy to remove a barbless hook. With a barbed hook sometimes it’s a real pain. Especially if they are deeply hooked. Why are we fishing in the first place? To catch lots of fish and have a good time. Everything we can do to minimise damage to the fish is a no-brainer. It’s not even an argument for me; I would never dream of fishing a barbed hook. And as I wrote, anyone who fishes with me MUST fish barbless otherwise I’ll leave them in the jungle with the tigers.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”