PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Beer - Redux

Moderator: Haggisboy

TheBadger
Answers: 0

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

That's a good idea about the converted keg. I work at a craft beer bar, so could probably source one reasonably easily. We're using gas, and also use a converted 'chilly bin' with a tap and false bottom as a mash tun. Sounds like we're actually using a fairly similar set up. Just drinking our home brewed coconut milk stout now. Not bloody bad.
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Cool, if you can get one of the American Sanke kegs, it would be even bigger at 15 Gallons (c.60L) I think.

We did a coconut and vanilla stout (no lactose) it was too coco-nutty but aged well.
scotty9

Beer - Redux

Post by scotty9 »

What I really like about this thread is that I know both of you and can hopefully haggle a beer when we next meet :p :D
TheBadger

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

Interesting to hear it was too 'coconutty'. What method did you use to impart the coconut flavour? Ours have typically been slightly under 'coconutted'. I've found that the coconut flavour, much like hop oils, fades with time as ours had a much stronger coconut flavour when bottled than when drunk. Think we'll give the lactose a miss for the next few stouts though.

Scott - It was a bugger we didn't really have anything ready for you when you stayed! The fridge is completely packed now!
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Coconut was added to the boil, and then roasted coconut (far too much) was added to secondary. One of the group wanted twice as much coconut, but it was stealthily halved. What was nasty though was a few fugitive pieces of coconut made it into the bottles and looked like toenail clippings.....

It has aged nicely though.

Scott you are welcome to a beer next time I see you.
Hamish

Beer - Redux

Post by Hamish »

Stop it..... beer torture. May have to set up micro-brewery........ :cool:

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Hamish...I am in!
TheBadger

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

Hamish wrote:Stop it..... beer torture. May have to set up micro-brewery........ :cool:
NZ Scotland collaboration brew?
TheBadger

Beer - Redux

Post by TheBadger »

Well I've just put down what I'm calling an English Breakfast Bitter. It's basically a Best Bitter with a lb of marmalade added to the primary.

Brewing is going to go through the roof in the next little while. We have about 100kg of grain coming in, so will be able to rack things out at will.
Haggisboy

Beer - Redux

Post by Haggisboy »

Interesting concept. let me know how it works out. We did a Wit beer last summer with Lime marmalade, fresh limes and coriander, was pretty good.

100kg of grain, quality. You planning on starting your own "mouse year"?

Return to “Manshit”