PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stroke length in relation to style

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Stroke length in relation to style

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm

That's a great video there, Lasse! have you thought about writing a book?! Thank you by the way! I really like your first style, i think the second one is what i was doing. Fab casting as always :cool:

All the best

Nick
Hi Nick

I haven't even had a computer for several years now, writing a book would be impossible 😂

First "style" is made crap staccato intentionally since it has been sold here as the be all and end all of all you need in fly-fishing, and that it is the most energy efficient way of casting.... The clip was made to make people think, you aren't the first one to like the first cast the most 😉

And thanks!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Lasse,

were (backcast) loops equally tight in those casts?

I appreciate videos, but I am a sucker for seeing them loops.

(I think I liked style #2 best.)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Jarno

I only looked in 3 and 5, so can't say.

Cheers
Lasse

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,
First "style" is made crap staccato intentionally since it has been sold here as the be all and end all of all you need in fly-fishing, and that it is the most energy efficient way of casting....
Not quite sure what you mean here, having trouble understanding :cool:

Staccato to me (being a musician) means detached or short/sharp. It's a little '.' above a note(s) :sorcerer:

Oh right! I'd deffo read it if you did, i've read Jason Borgers book and i think it's fantastic!

One of your videos came 'recommended' to me this evening by you tube, hope you don't mind my sharing?

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

James9118 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:54 pm
nicholasfmoore wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm How would you describe it?
I'm not sure :upside: What could be interesting is a comparison to a video where you think you're pushing - using the same short length of line.

I'm not sure about the BFFI - I may be away, however I'm sure we'll catch up for a cast at some point.

Cheers, James.
Absolutely, i think i'll make a few videos and put them on here :) As you said before, what we think and what we actually do can be completely different :cool:

If you are going to the BFFI then send me a FB message as i'm not far away, i don't think i'll go otherwise :) If not then i might see you at the next Sportfish show?

All the best

Nick
Nick M

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm Hi all,
First "style" is made crap staccato intentionally since it has been sold here as the be all and end all of all you need in fly-fishing, and that it is the most energy efficient way of casting....
Not quite sure what you mean here, having trouble understanding :cool:

Staccato to me (being a musician) means detached or short/sharp. It's a little '.' above a note(s) :sorcerer:

All the best

Nick
And that's just what I am doing, pronounced detached/sharp movements, instead of a smooth transition, and yet it's proclaimed favorite because it's been repeated again and again as the only way...5 is much smoother, and relaxed, and yield a much higher line velocity as evident in the biggest rebound of all the casts, and yet it feels much slower and less forceful.. But has been ridiculed and is said to be not for fishing 😉 jumping jack style etc....
And in the end, all 5 reach 90 feet easily. ..

Jasons latest book is superb, that and Joan's flycasting technique are the top volumes in our niche pasttime if you ask me, and that's not because I'm mentioned in Jasons :blush:

Cheers
Lasse

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Ah, I'm with you Lasse! Thanks for clarifying that 🤓

It's truly a fantastic book, I like the modular approach that he incorporates into his work. What pages are you mentioned in, Lasse? 😄

All the best

Nick
Nick M

Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I think this (but I could be wrong), anything dragged or pushed, opposes resistance, the faster one tries to move it from its rest position the more it opposes resistance, the more the objects used, undergo a deformation, so if they are deformed they are also unstable, they will start from the position they took to go in the direction they are moving, how can we avoid this? Make sure that the deformation is as linear as possible by moving the weight slowly by progressively accelerating, the more road you make the movement will be faster and more controlled (I could be wrong, I have not studied physics😢)?
Ivan
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Yesterday I watched a number of videos of Jerry Siem casting. Not because I want to copy his style, but because I would like to understand its characteristics.

Style seems to be an emerging topic in fly casting, right? With the upcoming US event and the discussions here. I started wondering: could we have a subforum here dedicated to analyzing and replicating different styles?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s not a bad idea Jarmo. Let me have a think about that. What styles do we have and how to name them?

I often name them in peculiar ways eg Rajeff Style (open compact distance), Closed stance accuracy style (but there are at least two variations here), Belgian/Oval/Lefty, 170/Stopless/Hartman.

In fact I think it’s an excellent idea. When I first got interested in comp distance with Jon Allen we spent a lot of time analysing different styles. Such a thing could be very useful.

What do you others think?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”