PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pull the line first.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Pull the line first.

Post by Paul Arden »

It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

🙏👍
Bianchetti Ivan

Going back to my old idea, (leave the left arm forward), I did some tests, throwing diero, the right shoulder goes behind and the left, goes ahead, usually we, if the right goes forward, we bend the left and we go to the right shoulder, takes the line puts it in tension and when the right is in position pulls, if we keep the left forward we can maintain tension simply by raising the arm by bending the elbow, when the right returns the left arm straightens, keeping the tension, here according to me the left does a different thing, it can go down vertically without making curves and have a super fast stop. (I didn't know how to be short)It's just a test, I'm not sure, what's better, my muscular habit is fighting me😳😁
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ivan,

I’ve always liked the “closed stance” with a step cast. The “Hartman Shuffle”. For me it’s always felt “open” and not “closed”. Personally I think it’s better to start the haul with a bent elbow, since I believe that the acceleration coming from the elbow straightening is far higher than swinging from the shoulder.

However it’s such a major difference between strokes, that to be at top form, I need to just concentrate on one. It’s a major commitment too, 2-3 months of training in that style.

I haven’t decided yet but I’m thinking for the next Worlds to throw closed/step/right foot forward. I’ve been closed for the first two and open for the last three. So a change could be good for me.

I get my house boat in two weeks time. The roof will be my casting platform :D Yay!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

I envy you, too beautiful!😁😁
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

An excellent thread.

I have learned to appreciate the difficulty of hauling now that I have started to take video of all training, with loops always visible. Gear: Scott Gs 906, GT125.
  • If I start to haul before perpendicular, I get a tailing tendency. Every time. I can not believe how late I need to start the haul, esp. on backcast. I feel that the time window is quite narrow. Can't do it correctly yet.
  • If I haul for too long, it opens up my loop. This happens because, being a caveman, I am unable to move my hands independently. If the haul is long, rotation is large, and loop opens up. (Casting narrow arc, tight loops, nothing like 170.)
  • The best word for visually observed increase in line speed is violent.
So my current mantra for learning is late, short and fast.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

"So my current mantra for learning is late, short and fast."

Excellent summation Jarmo.

Posted that many times. I would add; follow a straight line as close to the plane of the rod as possible. Long hauls are limiting as is the advice that you only expend enough power to turnover the line.

The haul is an explosion of movement by the haul hand, nothing languid about it.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Something else to experiment with is the starting positions of the haul. I particularly favour hauling to a fully straightened hauling arm for distance. That final opening of the elbow and wrist seems to generate the highest line speed. (Be careful not to haul from just or predominately using the shoulder!).

My advice would be to work out your most explosive haul, both back and forward. Work out where to start from and where to finish. Remember the finishing position should be opposite the Rod hand since the haul is the separation of the hands (or more accurately line hand to stripping guide).

Trying to make the haul short on a distance cast by finishing early is going to be very difficult. Trying to be consistent and explosive for this caveman is impossible under such circumstances. You can shorten a string from either end!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”