PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gary's front page on Atalanta show

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

Gary's front page on Atalanta show

Post by Merlin »

Thanks to Gary for his nice FP and something strange got my attention:
One model from a top brand that I will not name, shocked me when I kept missing the hoop to the right. Of course, I first thought it must be me, but up until that point I was not at all embarrassed with my accuracy casting, even in public. Just to be sure I immediately tested another model and the fly once again went straight to the hoop. I find it interesting that an expensive model of a top brand would have a glaring error on a specifically chosen demo rod. So… it must have been me.
It looks like this demo rod has a a handle which is not in the right plane whilst the shaft has perfectly aligned "natural bending position" pieces, which leads to lateral deviation. This is why it is better trying to make the rod "bending neutral" by shifting "spine axis" in between rod pieces.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Mangrove Cuckoo

Re: Gary's front page on Atalanta show

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Merlin,

If a manufacturer wanted to make a finesse rod version for "dry fly" casts, might they align the sections in their "natural bending position"?

That might be a rhetorical question, BTW.

Thanks for the insightful response. I think you nailed it.

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Hey Gary... interesting on the demographic attending the show, although as you say not necessarily surprising.

Although, I wouldn’t say that it necessarily represents young involvement in the sport... there’s a lot of competition and options for youngsters... I reckon out of the majority of younger fly fishers, although they will be active fishing the thought of wandering around a show is dull.... they’ve got a whole range of activities and options to cram in (certainly far more than when I was young)... so attending a fly show where 90% of attendees will be “white old duffers” ( I paraphrase :D ) is very low priority, they can glean info online and do something more productive with their time.
To be completely honest, I get that, I always like the idea of a show, but find them pretty dull once there :D
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

The natural bending points, usually there are two, I always choose the softer one, mounted the wire passes, not always, I find I have guessed the best part.🤔

Return to “Flycasting Physics”