PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Paul Arden »

Great discussion! I’m just off the lake. I’ll catch up on this tomorrow. With underpowered curves Ivan yes, I think that the tip has to initially track to the target. Others I’ll have to think about that. My original thought was no but it could be yes :D

I also had a bit of a think of right curves / left curves and will make some art tomorrow! Positive/negative I don’t understand. I’m fine with underpowered but if you use trajectory and blast the loop into the water I can see how that might be confusing for some people :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad
Answers: 0

Post by Geenomad »

Malik wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:25 am PS : your Einstein series are really helpful. Thanks for that !
M.
A fair trade. :)

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Some art :pirate:
ABD70F71-7142-4587-8362-471D6D78C905.jpeg
I agree that tailing loop svirgolato cast requires dipping the rod at the end of the stroke but I think this is to avoid a line/rod collision.

It’s a cast that really impresses me actually. While I’ve used tailing loops before to create curves, the first time I saw this I almost fell over. :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Finished it for you Paul. :pirate:
Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.27.12 pm.png
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :p

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I can’t see what the sky drop curve is from the video unfortunately. With the svirgolato are you guys at the stage where you can place the curve around an object and the fly on a dinner plate from different line lengths? For me it takes about 5 goes to remember how to do it and the accuracy isn’t what I require. I can drill it in after a number of casts but that’s not a hell of a lot of use.

Standard overpowered curves, particularly curving left (but I’m happy to curve right) and underpowered curving either way with the same degree of control, I’m pretty accurate with the four shots and can use them first time at varying distances. That’s what I would require of myself to use the svirgolato on the water. Any tips that aren’t “just practise more” would be most welcome! Thanks!! :)

Sending snake mends down the rod leg is another one that I play with but not at the point where I can fish them with confidence. Snap curve mends is something I occasionally use.

Underpowered curves for me Graeme are mostly river presentation casts. There are other uses however - eg “going away shots” and sometimes you can use it to throw a curve over submerged structure. Like you I use trajectories which allows me to place the line on the water unaffected by wind.

Overpowered curves on the other hand is extremely useful for me, particularly here in the jungle, casting around babies, structure into the bank or placing a curve that allows my to retrieve the line around submerged structure. I find it to be a fast and accurate cast. Less so backhanded but Bernd showed me that he uses a stiff wrist, and that really seems to help my off-shoulder cast.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Great, actually excellent, thread!

I think I can understand most of the descriptions, and I wish I could see the videos better. I cannot do better.

As for some terminology:

To me, accelerated and decelerated curves are apparent when watching what happens at the loop. Accelerated curves "tuck" in the horizontal plane, while decelerated curves have loops that fail to turn over.

That is why I like the descriptors adducted and abducted. They refer to the center of the body. So, accelerated curves adduct, and decelerated curves abduct no matter which hand does the casting.... much less confusing than right and left!

Granted... I do not use any of the above terms with the vast majority of students, but SL is different.

As to aiming:

I believe I aim differently depending on the type of curve. With accelerated curves I first aim where i want the curve to land. This is done at the beginning of the stroke or even before... Paul's bell is 180 degrees behind where the curve should land. I direct the fly to its target only at the end of the stroke by torquing the tip out of plane. The rod follows through toward the original target to place the line between the rod tip and the curve on the water straight.

(Deliberate off plane tracking of the back cast can enhance the cast curvature, as can reaches and mends, but I am keeping it simple for now)

For decelerated curves I do the opposite: the rod initially is directed toward where I want the fly to land, but when the rod is decelerated early, the tip is moved toward where the loop should land and the rod is faded.

Does any of the above make sense?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I do similar Gary, with these casts. At least with “underpowered” I start by aiming at the target and then slice the thumb around to place the line in a curve. I use the thumb to sight the hooked line.

Overpowered I’m actually not exactly sure how I target. I know I look to the target (if I can see it :p ) and also the apex. Because it’s a returning wave I concentrate mostly on the apex. The backcast aligns to the apex of course.

I like Lings technique because with underpowered it’s the backcast that controls the curve and not a curve in the casting stroke. It’s quite easy to change directions too - for example if you want to hook left off the right shoulder it’s easy simply to position “the bell” off-shoulder. Otherwise if you want to underpower left one normally casts the loop off the left shoulder.

Adducted and abducted works for me but I have to look them up every time you write them :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Going to the bottom of the matter, let's make the explanation easy, 1 at the beginning of the forward throw turn the wrist inwards (the reel will be to the left) in the middle of the launch straighten the wrist (the reel will be vertical in front of the barrel) arrived at the stop turn your wrist slightly inside, hold the line and wait when the lopp reaches the bottom it will be in the right direction.(If you do it quickly it will happen quickly if you do it slowly you will have to support it)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What is the more complicated explanation?

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”