PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Belgian and Spey casts twisting the line

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Belgian and Spey casts twisting the line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:33 pm No it can’t be. With a piece of rope (replacing the flyline) the only way I can get twists is by spinning the rope around. That is in effect what we do casting under and over the tip. For these twists to pass below the line hand we must be allowing them to move there from below the stripping guide.

Cheers, Paul
I'll shoot a video tomorrow, because your no is wrong.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Even skipping over the line between the line hand and the reel won’t create lasting twists because both sides will twist by the same amount. What is required is for one end to be untethered, ie the bit outside the rod tip. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Never had a problem with it. Always wondered what the fuss was about. I do use the cast a lot.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I'm not sure I understood correctly, but if there is a twist going underneath, there must also be going over the line !?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you spin line around your head you can see that the line twists. I’m now of the opinion that it’s by slipping line as the backcast unrolls that enables twist to slip beneath the line hand. I usually slip line at Loop Straight to cushion the “boing” (I don’t in distance competition). I think this is how it occurs.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I guess this cast for me means heavy flies and/or windy days, and therefore a minimal amount of false casting, and if as you suggest Paul, slipping line contributes to twist, I tend to minimise slip and just let the thing go because of the first circumstances (heavy flies and wind). I'll strip the fly until I can see it, roll cast it out to lengthen the line, pick up, slip lift, backcast, maybe one more cast and wang, let it go. I wonder how Herr Goebestroiter got along.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Good point on the Austrian. He can’t have been getting twists either. I though everyone got them but when Chris and Ronan said they didn’t that’s why I got curious. I can assure you many people get them :laugh: Nice to know how to avoid it!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

Line twist is a fact of life for micro spey casting (in my experience, anyway).... So much so that Ed Ward did a video about how to untwist it if you don’t have the opportunity to drag it behind a boat.

Return to “Flycasting”