PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Which taper - What line?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Which taper - What line?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Boisker wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm
Lasse... as you say there isn’t a requirement to follow the standard in tests... do you think you should be able to use 1 or 2 lines?
As I'm one of a few that where ready to weigh a candidates line in the field, I would just like it to follow a standard 😂

Honestly I don't see much difference, and if one wants to use multiple lines why not, I would always just ask a question of why..

An idea I've entertained for long would be that one had to take the tests with a outfit provided by the examiners, that way a candidate needed to be sharp and not on constant lookout for a set of gear to make things easier... 😉 Usually when teaching, I will demo with a students gear unless it's something very special.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I get that Lasse... in some ways it would be easier if the line was stipulated... it would certainly have been cheaper :D

If you asked me why 2 lines... I’d have to be honest-
I like my SA trout wf or DT for all overhead casting... it’s what I have used for ages practicing (I’ve only recently started Spey) and for all my fishing...
But the Rio SH makes the Spey easier :D

Although I have a feeling if I did the whole pro/first level instructors with the SA trout that technically I may be better?
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm
Lee Cummings wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 am If I was to take these tests again I would without question use the RIO single hand Spey.

Which one would I choose? A 6# and I might also be tempted to knock a foot or two off the tip to get the length into the mid 30’s.
Headlength on the singlehand spey is targeted at 33 feet, I wouldn't knock anything of it 😊

And I'd go with it too, since no one follows the standard in tests, using a overweight line is fine, and as always mass is king and a 8 weight does go further than a 6 weight, and the rio is really a 8 in the 6...😉

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse
It’s not vitally important to be absolutely right these days, however the head length is stated as 34ft on the 5# to the colour change according to the diagram on the RIO site, 33ft in the spec above?
Either way this is where I don’t cast it from (for optimum performance)

I have at least another 3-4 ft of the handling line out (for hauling/ initial loop) taking it to 37+ beyond the tip.
Now dependant on ability, depth of wading during training etc that’s where the suggestion of a 1-2ft tuning in length came about.

For a lad looking at taking provisional test, who by his own admission has not been Spey casting that long, I would want good results quickly to get his confidence up which will spur on his training sessions. I do agree with up lining and taking the test with the max of a 7#, if that’s what he’s used too.

Cheers
Lee
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Boisker wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm Lee and Lasse that’s really interesting and very much worth listening to🙂
I may have to reconsider and accept what I feel as a downside when casting overhead for the obvious advantage on the Spey.

particularly worth considering as unless I am remembering this incorrectly you were very much behind the Spey element of the test Lee
Hi Boisker

In days of yore, I took the masters test with the Lee Wulff Nymph taper, this was the first time this line had been used here and it upset my assessors on the day as the Spey element was very easy with this line, overhead not so much but still very achievable.

Following this I was involved with it on the inside to a degree, long story short, discussing it will simply not be positive, however I am still here and keeping an eye on it (and I still work to keep my skills up to the level of test)

My friend Tony who I remember pushed for the single hand Speys production basically suggested an I Line with a longer back taper, to make it less clunky overhead. This was back in the day when one line only was allowed for the test and the I line went out of production :(

Word got out and the SLX stemmed from this suggestion also.

I do also remember Paul P using the SA Trout for his casting exam training and ultimately the test, he was on fire with that line too...

I miss those days where lots of good people were rocking up, all seriously hungry for the test, all training like fuck, they were all responsible for raising the bar, which inspired many but inevitably put off the commitee at the time.

I realise now not letting perfect become the enemy of the good, might have been a very fair mindset for them to have, however the exam weekends were full and it was flourishing, many recall them as the glory days.

Probably said way too much

Cheers
Lee
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lee Cummings wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm
Lee Cummings wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 am If I was to take these tests again I would without question use the RIO single hand Spey.

Which one would I choose? A 6# and I might also be tempted to knock a foot or two off the tip to get the length into the mid 30’s.
Headlength on the singlehand spey is targeted at 33 feet, I wouldn't knock anything of it 😊

And I'd go with it too, since no one follows the standard in tests, using a overweight line is fine, and as always mass is king and a 8 weight does go further than a 6 weight, and the rio is really a 8 in the 6...😉

Cheers
Lasse
Lasse
It’s not vitally important to be absolutely right these days, however the head length is stated as 34ft on the 5# to the colour change according to the diagram on the RIO site, 33ft in the spec above?
Either way this is where I don’t cast it from (for optimum performance)

I have at least another 3-4 ft of the handling line out (for hauling/ initial loop) taking it to 37+ beyond the tip.
Now dependant on ability, depth of wading during training etc that’s where the suggestion of a 1-2ft tuning in length came about.

For a lad looking at taking provisional test, who by his own admission has not been Spey casting that long, I would want good results quickly to get his confidence up which will spur on his training sessions. I do agree with up lining and taking the test with the max of a 7#, if that’s what he’s used too.

Cheers
Lee
You're absolutely right, it's not vital to be right 😊

I have the lines, I have measured the lines, I know what rio has as a target and that the target not always is met, and rarely to the long side.

My 7 is 32 feet in the head, and if I where to cut the tip 2 feet back I would as well have a skagit head, and it's that I would suggest saving a lad from ending up with. But who cares, it's about quick satisfaction right 😉
My 5 is only 30...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:39 pmBut who cares, it's about quick satisfaction right 😉

Cheers
Lasse
No, it’s about installing confidence Lasse.

Cheers
Lee

Return to “Flycasting”