PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Making a rod slick?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Making a rod slick?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

Had a conversation with somebody about making rods nice and slick, and they mentioned that they use Mr Sheen! It does make the line shoot very well, especially in the wet. Do any of you guys spray the rod with silicone etc?

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
jarmo
Answers: 1

Re: Making a rod slick?

Post by jarmo »

Sometimes, when I have treated a line with a silicone-based solution, I have wiped the rod with the cloth afterwards, and then polished the rod with a dry cloth. I must say that the end result is very slick and shiny.

More traditionally I have used mild furniture polishing solutions.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I'm the same as Jarmo. Certainly if the blank gets dirty with algae or mud then the line doesn't shoot or feedback after the hauls as well. Thus I'll clean my rods with the same slicked cloth as I clean my lines. Just be careful trying to get a slicked rod's joints apart though :blush:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

With the Shoot it ends up on the rod anyway. Lee Martell hates the stuff because when a rod comes in for repair it makes the whipping hold a pain in the arse to achieve.

(We had a few Comp5V2s explode in Italy. I have no idea what the Italians are doing to manage this :D )

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

jarmo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm Sometimes, when I have treated a line with a silicone-based solution, I have wiped the rod with the cloth afterwards, and then polished the rod with a dry cloth. I must say that the end result is very slick and shiny.

Thank you, Jarmo! Just curious, why don't you use the furniture polish anymore? I might have gone a bit mental with my Hardy HBX, i have managed to polish one of the section numbers off the blank! Although this could have been the line rubbing on the blank when i haul.
James9118 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:43 pm I'm the same as Jarmo. Certainly if the blank gets dirty with algae or mud then the line doesn't shoot or feedback after the hauls as well. Thus I'll clean my rods with the same slicked cloth as I clean my lines. Just be careful trying to get a slicked rod's joints apart though :blush:
Thank you, James. I must say that i really noticed it when it was raining one day (fine drizzle) all day! The line would constantly stick to the blank, which was very annoying. I turn my rings out anyway for hauling, but this didn't seem to help much that day. Haha! I can imagine getting them apart is interesting. To be fair i don't clean my rods that much anyway, i used to years ago. I will do it more now with this Covid-19 situation, as there is nothing much left to do :cool:
Paul Arden wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:54 am With the Shoot it ends up on the rod anyway. Lee Martell hates the stuff because when a rod comes in for repair it makes the whipping hold a pain in the arse to achieve.

(We had a few Comp5V2s explode in Italy. I have no idea what the Italians are doing to manage this :D )

Cheers, Paul
You'll have to send me some shoot when you can get them back in stock, Paul. I like the idea of putting it on the line whilst it's on the reel :sorcerer: I can imagine, i assume he would have to wipe the rod with alcohol to get rid of the stuff?!

Oh dear! Maybe because of the lock down they are casting from their balcony and snagging a satellite dish on their back cast? :cool:

Stay safe everyone, it's worse than the flu (talking to a nurse friend of mine)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 pm
jarmo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm Sometimes, when I have treated a line with a silicone-based solution, I have wiped the rod with the cloth afterwards, and then polished the rod with a dry cloth. I must say that the end result is very slick and shiny.

Thank you, Jarmo! Just curious, why don't you use the furniture polish anymore? I might have gone a bit mental with my Hardy HBX, i have managed to polish one of the section numbers off the blank! Although this could have been the line rubbing on the blank when i haul.
Hello Nicholas.

I still use furniture polish when cleaning rods, maybe once a year. Making them slick with line treatment is more like an "on the lawn" solution.

Stay safe.

Return to “Flycasting”