PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Q: single handed spey casting - curve on the end the fly line

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Davy Sun
Answers: 0

Q: single handed spey casting - curve on the end the fly line

Post by Davy Sun »

Hi, first of all i hope everybody is well during this hard time. but at least we could stay at garden to finetune our casting :D

i am practising single handed spey in these days and met a problem which cant be solved for long time. i am not sure whether this is the right place to ask for help since i havent found a sub-area for single hannded spey casting. here is the question:

now i could handle 55 feet switch casting without shotting line, with correct setting of anchor and D/V Loop, BUT, each time when the line drop to the water, there is always a "left turn curve" and the front end of main line, everytime!!!

could anybody give me some clues or advice on that? thanks in advanced.

Davy Sun
Attachments
1.jpg
FFI CI @SH CN E-Mail :18916120939@189.cn
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Q: single handed spey casting - curve on the end the fly line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Davy

Sounds like a rebound curve, are you casting with the rod angled out to the side? If yes, try to deliver with a more vertical rod orientation.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Davy Sun

Post by Davy Sun »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:44 am Hi Davy

Sounds like a rebound curve, are you casting with the rod angled out to the side? If yes, try to deliver with a more vertical rod orientation.

Cheers
Lasse
Thanks for your reply, Lasse!
i think you are right, i use to tipical "lefty Style" with tilted outside rod, sometimes even 45 degree. i will try your suggestion,
Regards
Davy
FFI CI @SH CN E-Mail :18916120939@189.cn
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I get the same thing with a 2 hander on the 70ft roll cast, drives me nuts. Will "de-power" some more. Just on the Lefty style thing (my influence for many years) and Spey, the big issue for me was the low hand height, and the absence of lift before coming forward, so point "P" remained static, the anchor too big and the Dloop insufficient. If you're getting plenty of slurp just check that you are in fact circling UP. Putting these issues together was big moment for me.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Morsie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:52 pm If you're getting plenty of slurp just check that you are in fact circling UP. Putting these issues together was big moment for me.
Similar experience for me with single hand spey. Insight wan't available when casting on grass. No slurp.

My self analysis was that a bit more emphasis on lifting up and a bit less on going back produced a more dynamic roll. :cool:

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
 I think this is what you talking about.
  @15min 50 sec of the video- you can see it how it lands. The rod is tilt 45°

I knew something is not 100%, but did not really worry about it, now when you point it out I might check it out and do what Lasse said.

p.s
  it is all in Polish language, so dont get scared😁
cheers
mike
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Rod rebound curve layouts can also come from a vertically orientated casting plane, for a small experiment try making an alternative Wiggle cast with a vertical rod (by shaking the tip straight up and down after the loop is away), the shape you put in the line has to fall somewhere.

Cheeers
Lee
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

This is counterflex flex of the rod. If you go vertical you’ll still get it, it will just be a little hump mend :) Basically it’s a wave travelling down the rod leg as a result of the tip travelling from RSP to MCF to RSP2.

There are ways to try to minimise it. Mending immediately after RSP to compensate (good luck with that one), some tackle adjustments. The problem is that Counterflex is a result of the rod unloading and is part and parcel of the cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Going more vertical means the line also fall a little longer and the tiny humpmend might get taken out.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting”