PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Streamers: Favorite fly and technique (trout)

Moderator: Paul Arden

grunde
Answers: 0

Post by grunde »

Hi,

Was inspired by Pauls streamer fishing demo at the Scottish meet. Now I just wonder if I need to stock my fly box with new patterns?

So common guys, what are your favorite (trout) streamer pattern(s) and how do you fish them?

My goto streamers are the good old Muddler Minnow and an all maraboo Wolly Bugger (with a bead head...

Cheers,
Grunde
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore »

I like streamers with a big presence for back country trout, such as large sex dungeons, double bunnies etc.
Often they are a better option than a delicate presentation on spooky trout with the usual dry fly or nymph, and as well as fishing through riffles, pools and along cut banks blind I find myself sight fishing with a big streamer is one of my favourite, and most effective techniques. You should see the looks I get from clients when we approach a large fish gently sipping dries in very spooky water, and I reach for a tandem #2 rather than the expected subtle parachute :)

Pretty much I'm preying on the fish's aggressive / territorial instinct rather than their more cautious feeding behaviour.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HaSYU4By ... aSYU4ByiRU

And

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAA1KqcrsQ

Partly influenced by the ever legendary Arden and Harrison, "Terminator" :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Grunde,

I have several streamers for rivers;

A large/ish 3-4 inch double bunny - white and olive, but white on top so I can see it. Lead eyes and leaded shank. It's so heavy, especially when wet, that it can be thrown like a spinner. I throw it under trees and into gaps on hard fished rivers that no one else in their right mind would present a fly. But it also works well in the tails of pools and just about everywhere in fact. Fishing downstream is best because I can work the fly, if I cast upstream I need to use a Slime line and strip like hell.

I also use a small (size 8 wetfly) olive and grizzle woolly bugger, this is more subtle and I've had some amazing fishing with it. It's really a back-end fly for me and used to be my go-to streamer. I've used this fly all over the world, from Canada, all through the States, NZ, Aussie and Europe of course. It's caught thousands upon thousands of fish - not just trout either, but also carp and barbel. Sometimes it feels like you're catching - or at least moving - every fish in the river. It has a tungsten head and a leaded body. I think the shade of olive is important (not too dark) and the grizzle should be long, dark and softish.

I've had very good fishing with black marabou streamers fished just under the surface after dark. Greased up muddlers too. In fact I often fish the two together, with the muddler on the top dropper and the black lure on the point. If it's after dark I tie to the hook bend of the muddler instead of trying a dropper.

I also have some small (size 10) hot orange mini-lures, unweighted, which I fish on a Slime Line, which sometimes can be the answer.

I always fish strong tippets with streamers. 10lb at least, and in the case of the double bunny 15 or 16. Fishing the double bunny always feels like I'm taking a dog for a walk. I absolutely love it, it's especially interesting to watch the fly. Without the white on the top (it's upside down really) there would many times when I would never see a following fish.

I'll post some photos later - I think I'm out of the double bunny, but will tie some tomorrow in Ukraine.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
grunde

Post by grunde »

Chris and Paul,

thanks allot! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your flies Paul. Will add both the double bunny and some of those small grizzly woolly buggers to my fly box :pirate:

Cheers,
Grunde
George E. P. Box

Flycasting Definitions
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Grunde,

I vote for some kind of Woolly Bugger made exclusively of marabou (no hackle nor chenille, just a marabou feather for body and tail) tied on a #10 wide gape dry fly hook, with or without a light beadhead (depending on the water depth).
Something like this:
Attachments
WB.jpg
WB.jpg (80.3 KiB) Viewed 8598 times
Zoran Marinkovic

Post by Zoran Marinkovic »

I am here with Aitor , WB Black Marabou all the way .
I think I wrote one FP and one full report on the old Board just in a glory of Marabou Woolly Bugger .
Even more, I used to have one particular WB tied by my friend , which was my Fly Number 1 for a long time.
I was used it only if no other fly was effective.
I used to keep just that one WB in special mini fly box- one fly one fly box.
It was tied on #8 hook, with belonged gold bedhead, all Marabou, with a touch of black hen like a ribs/legs or whatever .
Once in the water , it becomes alive....
I used every streamer style fishing/presentation I knew, and it was perfect for all conditions...
That WB caught more Trouts than all of rest of my flies together ...

I am tend to believe there was some magic involved ..... :sorcerer:

Cheers,
Zoran
grunde

Post by grunde »

Thanks again guys!

The all marabou woolly bugger is one of my all time favorites. I usually tie them with a mix of two colors (like black and olive) in a dubbing loop. I also tend to add a hint of flash to them...

Grunde
George E. P. Box

Flycasting Definitions
davestocker

Post by davestocker »

Clouser for me. Brown over white, chartreuse over white. Gets down quick, doesn't catch on bottom.
Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore »

Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

Just about any pattern that Kelly Galloup has anything to do with like the already mentioned Sex Dungeon. The Twin Tailed Madonna, Zoo Cougar and Circus Peanut are fantastic patterns.

One of my favourites is the Bow River Bugger which is a woolly bugger with a muddler head. Tie the body either using nothing but marabou or use an oversize schlappen hackle for lots of movement.

Return to “Flyfishing”