PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What lines weights do you typically teach with?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: What lines weights do you typically teach with?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Looks like my shootinghead wallet 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Mike and Magnus had a bit of a tiff. It was a shame really; there is some good stuff in Mike’s articles. I was reading through some of them today :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

When I grew up stillwater fly fishing in the UK was huge!! Opening day we’d sell 200 tickets on Ardleigh Res. And every weekend for the first month there would be 100 plus anglers each day. Locally there was Hanningfield which was also busy maybe more so - but now it’s any method FFS and Ardleigh shut many years ago. There were even small local waters that have since closed. In the 90s we had an estimated 200,000 fly fishers in the UK. It’s a shame that the younger generations (ie my age :p ) didn’t find fly fishing to be sexy.

The reason brick on the string “flylines” have taken hold is because the majority of anglers haven’t yet learned to cast properly or to fish short lining techniques. I have no problems with fishing a bubble float and unlike many people I do actually consider it to be fly fishing. However I don’t do it and I think there are better and far more interesting techniques. Fishing for rising fish running windlanes is still one of the most interesting styles of fly fishing I know. When Giant Gourami do this I am in Heaven.

I wouldn’t worry about if Nick; the majority of stillwater trout anglers have always been lure bashers :D It takes a long time to figure out fly fishing and that’s one of the reasons we can be obsessed by it our whole lives!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,
Looks like my shootinghead wallet 😉
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's a lot of tickets and anglers, that is really quite extraordinary. It's a shame that fisheries are converting to any method, same for me when i fished Packington estates in the midlands. The day ticket water is now a carp lake FFS, the members pools are also syndicate, and the river is too.
It’s a shame that the younger generations (ie my age :p ) didn’t find fly fishing to be sexy.
Seems to be the same now, especially in the UK it is regarded as an old mans game ;) average age of the guys at the club is 60 :laugh: i don't mind though, theres no better feeling chucking a line around :D It's a shame your res closed, i would have liked to have a look at it and possibly fished it! Draycote water has seen quite a decline in numbers ever since they closed bank fishing on the dam walls.

The reason brick on the string “flylines” have taken hold is because the majority of anglers haven’t yet learned to cast properly or to fish short lining techniques.
Couldn't be more right, a lot of stilll water guys are lure bashers, cast as far as possible and then retrieve :D you should be able to vary the amount of line out the tip, i don't think you can short line with a shooting head effectively.

To answer the original question :laugh: i use the MED, your line and a double taper. I don't want a student to reach the end of the head, i think you mentioned that last bit to me a while ago? All in a #6, seems to be a nice weight for ladies and gents, also i think the lighter rods show up faulty technique as opposed to the higher line weights. :sorcerer:

Nothing better than dry fly fishing, on lakes it's mostly midge imitations as you know. Interestingly the buzzers at the local club are tiny, around size 18-20!

Couldn't have said the last part better myself :D

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:27 am
The reason brick on the string “flylines” have taken hold is because the majority of anglers haven’t yet learned to cast properly.

Cheers, Paul
Agree, properly meaning using a 100 foot DT as a shootinghead! If you're not there yet, don't talk about flyfishing, because you clearly don't know anything 😉

Otherwise it's snobbish bs..

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry if it came across as snobbish, it's certainly not intended that way. It's exactly the same process as how I learned too! Bashed lures for about five years and that's all I knew - fished a few wets, but always stripped. Didn't even believe that trout would eat small flies. Big colourful streamers is all I had confidence in. Read a few books that were quite groundbreaking for me, there was Brian Clarke's book about how he learned to fish nymphs and being imitative. It took a very long time to get confidence in small flies, to understand that trout eat small food and that we actually catch more by imitating it. So I can fully understand that there are loads of anglers who don't have confidence in this approach. To be honest I'm envious of all the thrilling light-bulb moments they have to come! I thoroughly enjoyed my twenty-odd years of reservoir fishing, particularly my teenage years. I feel very lucky to have had those and that I picked up fly fishing at a young age. It's why I would like to see more teenagers fly fishing; so that they can fuck up their lives like I have. :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

:)

What do you guys think of the Rio Gold? There's something about that line I don't like and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is 🙂

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

It's ok, just been seeing alot of the nose in the sky shit lately, and aim to call it out 🙂

More like you, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing 😂

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Nick

I actually like that line, just find it too short in head and length, unless it's the competition version, then it's too long in the head 😂

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven't cast a gold in a while. Manufacturers often make adjustments over time. When I first cast one I found the head to be heavy and short. The original line taper made it difficult to throw tight loops - it had a heavy belly and a light tip. I have no idea what it is like now. That was years ago, and it's not the sort of line people bring to the jungle :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”