PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lockdowns where you are

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Lockdowns where you are

Post by Paul Arden »

So here is the current situation in Malaysia. Recreational fishing sea/lake/river was banned for 7(?) weeks. Now we can fish on land social distancing by 2m, but can’t boat fish - lakes are closed, as is the sea. I assume this is because they imagine charter boats and not a jungle man fishing alone miles from everyone else. :evil:

Anyway I have some exciting projects on the go and a cunning plan...

What’s it like in your country?

(For the record 6000 cases COvID in Malaysia and 110 deaths. To go shopping you must wear a mask. No interstate travel. Restaurants here at least are shut apart from takeaways. Last time I bought petrol it was about 26p/litre - there is always a silver lining!).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Lockdowns where you are

Post by Graeme H »

We never had a full mandatory lockdown in Western Australia. We were officially "not supposed to fish" for about 3 weeks, but no action was taken against anyone who did. The boat ramps were always full. Nearly everyone "self isolated" before we were asked to.

We currently have 5 active cases in the whole state, none of whom are hospitalised. During the last 14 days, there have been 3 new cases linked to travel from overseas. The state has had 556 cases and 9 deaths. The country has had 7039 cases and 98 deaths.

Restrictions here are easing. People are being asked to return to work on Monday (18th May). We went back in our office last Monday after working from home for the last 7 weeks. We have closed borders in WA and restrictions on travel to regional areas. (If someone flies into WA, they are quarantined for 14 days. The three cases in the last 14 days were in relation to one of these quarantined people.)

My silver lining on fuel was that I last filled up on 23rd March. I broke that stretch today and filled the tank. No silver lining in the price though - in your terms, it cost me 55p/l.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:23 am

My silver lining on fuel was that I last filled up on 23rd March. I broke that stretch today and filled the tank. No silver lining in the price though - in your terms, it cost me 55p/l.

Cheers,
Graeme
Just checked our price, its very cheap here at the moment, must be 15 years since the price was this low, and I pay 1,7 aud /liter :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Oh ,and we havent had a lockdown, alot of public employes where sent home, several bigger companies had the staff that could work from home. Me as a craftman on buildsites have been working straight through, only differnece is the empty roads in the morning, the added stress (wife is astmatic), the homeschooling of my kids. Borders closed somewhat, had several friends go to Sweden to fish in march, they did get smarter in april... fishing is open.
The country is slowly opening up, small kids are back in school, but a different school, and it looks like how it should have been all along (fewer kids in a class, more adults to help, less hours a day, and surprise, happier kids and teachers, more focus and all ) and on monday most of the older kids start school too.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
steelehead

Post by steelehead »

Germany had a gentle lockdown, you were allowed to go shopping, fishing (at least where I live) and the like, except most shops where closed and you had to keep a distance to other people while being outside, plus practice social distancing to stop spreading the stuff.
I started wearing simple face masks in march, these became mandatory in the end of April. There are some states that were more restrictive, though - think coastal fishing was banned on northern and eastern beaches. While toilet paper, flour and pasta where hard to get for quite a while, as everyone kept stashing that stuff, all shops resupplied in the meantime. Guess in the near future we will see quite a lot of germans die of scurvy because of a strict pasta-flour diet... :p
Right now it all seems pretty normal, except for everyone wearing a mask when shopping. However, I would take it too easy - there are some regions with infection rates on the rise.
Positive side-effect for me was that I really got into fishing again and - as the local trout seem to take social distancing a bit too serious - managed to get a lot of useful practice for my casting abilities.

Cheers,
Christian

Return to “Announcements”