PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Dangerous casting conundrum

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lee Cummings
Answers: 0

Dangerous casting conundrum

Post by Lee Cummings »

Flow is from bottom of image to top. Typical strong Wind direction is green arrow. Caster casts along red line, line lands and swings right past typical dangle position, to fully in bank to blue line (many good takes at very end of swing)

Often fishing with one maybe two tube flies armed with trebles, what would you say is the safest way to get the line back out in such conditions..?

I have the answer, it’s pretty novel ;) just think it would be good to hopefully hear some initial thoughts.

Cheers
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Dangerous casting conundrum

Post by Paul Arden »

What I personally would do is make a left shoulder Circle C to place the line downstream and the fly in towards the bank, pickup with an side/Belgian cast, false cast and deliver with a 170-style backcast. Depending on how ugly the flies are, I might have to stabilise the first forward cast with a “water-haul”.

Another option would be an in-bank Double Spey or a variation starting the same, using an upstream in-side/in-bank Sweep but then followed by a C to place the fly downstream and outwards, aligned forward to the target.

And if you can understand any of that you must be a engineer at Sellafield. :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

I understand that and I’m just a fitter :D

The wind arrow isn’t the best, it should indicate an upstream quarter, your understanding of the layout in your answer has proven this.

Basically if you were fishing a river and the wind was front right and your fly can and must fish beyond the typical downstream dangle position, eg the current runs from right to left slightly too, basically this final position will see all downstream wind cast variants out of the picture.

So how, from this position do you set up an up stream d loop?

Cheers
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Cast to the end of the red line then chuck a few big upstream mends and hope :-)
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll draw some art :) Ho Ho Ho!

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I do not compute the term flies armed with trebles, but...

If the wind is strong, strip in to about 2X the rod length, lift the rod high over the left shoulder, and let the wind assist with pulling the fly behind you. Then swing the rod around to off the right shoulder and cast normally?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah right - the wind has changed :D Damn it I hate it when that happens :p

I’d be tempted to bring the flies right around my back like a helicopter, bringing the rod tip around slightly more than 360 degrees - and then follow up like I had just made a Circle C.

And probably wear a crash helmet.

Cheers, Paul

Edit of course what Gary is saying would work too. :upside:

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'm right handed and casting with a single hand rod.

In the first image, I'm going to perform a back hand snake roll to reposition the line in the direction of the red line and let it land. I'll then immediately pick up the line with a "reverse front cast" away from the red line and make overhead casts with the goal of delivering on the back cast at the required distance in the direction of the red line.

In the second situation, I'll carry out the lift and reverse front cast to place the line on the water away from the blue line, then use a standard snake roll change-of-direction towards the red line and finish with an overhead cast to deliver the fly.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Jesus - maybe you should be wearing the crash helmet Graeme :D

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”