PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Midge patterns

Moderator: Viking Lars

Cris
Answers: 0

Midge patterns

Post by Cris »

Any suggestions on a good CDC midge pattern?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Midge patterns

Post by Paul Arden »

For me if it’s size 22 or smaller they all look the same :p I actually did pretty well years ago on the San Juan tying stillwater emergers - Shipmans, Suspenders etc - on 28-32 hooks. But to be honest I don’t think pattern matters when this is overwhelmingly a size issue. I did have some really nice tiny flies that Jelko gave me in Bosnia that would fit your description. But a tropical storm liberated those from me!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Cris

Post by Cris »

So my size 18-22 is a bit on the big side lol, need to fire up the magnifying overhead for these then I feel
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Depends on the midge species. And if we are talking Chironomid and where they are. On the UK reservoirs Chironomid/buzzers can be size 10, maybe even 8. Down to size 16 I would always use suspenders and not CDC.

I probably shouldn't have answered this because I've realised that I have stopped tying patterns. I'll just go and hide in a corner now :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

Renee Harrop's transition midge is a nice little pattern if CDC is a must.

Stillwater, CDC shuttlecock is as good and fairly easy to see, although I would say a suspender or DHE is a better choice usually.
Cris

Post by Cris »

Awesome thanks for the tip
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Using CDC I like a shuttlecock pattern mentioned above
But generally find a bog standard traditional griffiths pattern is always a consistent catcher.... tied 24 through down to 14... cut all the hackle off flush underneath if you want it sat in the film rather than on top of it... killer pattern, as simple as they get to tie...
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

My best advice - replace all the CDC with polyyarn and you get a much better fly that you can dry easily.
I'm really no fan of CDC at all :-).

What size midges are you asking about, because I'm in Paul's corner here (HAH, get it?). The smaller it gets, the less important the pattern is. Shipman's, Griffith's Gnat and small, simple hackled hackle-tip-winged flies are pretty much all I use.

Lars
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Tying a Griffiths Gnat is dead easy by the way ...

t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Viking Lars wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm My best advice - replace all the CDC with polyyarn and you get a much better fly that you can dry easily.
I'm really no fan of CDC at all :-).

What size midges are you asking about, because I'm in Paul's corner here (HAH, get it?). The smaller it gets, the less important the pattern is. Shipman's, Griffith's Gnat and small, simple hackled hackle-tip-winged flies are pretty much all I use.

Lars
I agree and since it's easier for me to obtain hares feet than poly yarn, I use that instead :-)

Return to “Flytying”