PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wading boots by shoe companies

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Wading boots by shoe companies

Post by Paul Arden »

It was actually the Western Lakes that I walked into wearing wading boots. Total agony the next days. That’s when I ordered up the pair of Meindls. They were about 200 and something quid which is an expensive pair of wading boots!

When I was in NZ there was one river that was a 35km day. Half of that was hard going, rocks, gorges, a couple of climbs and depending on the water level one swim. After that it was a 3 1/2hr hike out over a couple of hills and through a farmyard after dark. It was a long day, on the water 7am, back at the truck 11pm. It was relentless - but on the river you would find 30-34 trout 5-9lbs and occasionally a double. I would fish it once every year.

There is no way in the world that you can do that in most “wading” boots. Wading boots as far as I can work out are made for anglers who don’t travel further than about 500m from their car.

Now I say that, but I was given an old pair of Simms boots from Chris Dore about 12 years ago that were actually OK. I don’t know which model they were, but they were certainly far better than any other wading boot I’d tried previously. I do believe that wading boots have improved since Sean whote this article. http://www.sexyloops.com/fishmail/boots.shtml However I’m loath to spend a couple of hundred quid to find out otherwise!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms
Answers: 0

Post by sms »

I once made the error of hiking wet terrain wearing my Simms Freestones with felt soles in Swedish Lapland. Only about 5km each direction, but hilly terrain made it wuite a bit more. The way back was much more uphill back to camp. The amount of slips was uncountable amount. Haven’t considered felt since for soles.

And since I need to have space for thick socks under my waders and I use extra neoprene socks for both cushioning and wader sock wear protection, my wading boots are big. So not for hiking, but wading. And wading in my case means mostly standing in water and slowly moving, trying to find a footing for the next cast. Often the place where I need to stand is not optimal. Pointy rock or foot between boulders. I don’t want to stand on ”pin point” with a soft sole stuff. I don’t want to feel that point and feeling pointy rock would distract me from the fishing and make my feet sore soon. I want to be securely on that, but comfortably. And when I jam my foot between rough boulders, I don’t want them to rub my ankles, so protection is needed.

Wading boots and waders are not hiking gear. They are meant for wading and in my case in quite cold waters if I’m lucky. Hor hiking I would go with something else (of also a few sizes smaller than what I use for wading).
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
sms

Post by sms »

Lasse, I think you can find those spikes from other (tyre stuff) sources.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Will

Post by Will »

Anyone had a look at canyoning boots? I have a guide friend who swears by them. Think this was the brand http://www.upandunder.co.uk/Watersports ... e---35531/.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Looks very interesting Will!

The problem I have with hiking boots as they are is that if you have to make 100 river crossings in a day you are likely to end up in the drink - that and leather doesn’t like being wet for 6 months straight. Maybe it’s an impossible ask and we should be using 2 dollar shoes like the Orang Asli :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

I particularly like the look of the lacing system, where you can have a different tension on the foot vs the ankle. Definitely on the list for when my current boots turn up their toes.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Looks like they would repel leeches as well! I’ll drop them a line to find out more. Something like that might very well be the answer.

Thanks Will,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

Will wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 am Anyone had a look at canyoning boots? I have a guide friend who swears by them. Think this was the brand http://www.upandunder.co.uk/Watersports ... e---35531/.
Those look really interesting, though perhaps a bit hot?? I've not done any canyoning, but have spent a little time in the Utah canyons and know that when it's wet, it's slimy. These might just work. Great thinking, Will.

We are not anywhere there are leaches nor are we carrying heavy packs, so take this for what it's worth:
I've been wearing the Simms Headwaters (on my 3rd pair) and Simms wading shoes. We like to hike into wilderness areas to fish so the lightweight Headwaters are good. Sometimes we hike in wearing the Headwaters. Sometimes we carry the wading shoes in our packs and wear hiking boots in and out. Sometimes, if it's warm enough and the hike isn't too bad, we hike in wearing wool socks and Simms wading shoes then switch to neoprene socks when ready to fish or crossing streams. With the wading shoes, I've rock-hopped around the perimeter of a lake that was nothing but huge boulders. At the time the shoes were brand new and the rubber felt almost as grippy as rock climbing shoes. Apparently the same rubber that is used on the Simms wading shoes is also used on the bottom of the Headwaters, but the stiff sole obviates all nimbleness and seemingly grip. Putting cleats on the perimeter areas of the soles (toes and heels) helps, but not all that much, especially not on wet, polished bowling balls. I feel pretty vulnerable in them in faster water.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Sakke, I would be interested to hear your review if you choose the Andrew boots mentioned. They look good, and seem to be a fraction of the price of Simms.
In 2009 I bought a pair of Simms Rivershed boots (Vibram soles). These were the best wading boots I had worn, and I wore them until the soles were quite gone. When the model was discontinued, I bought two more pairs, visually identical to the first. Both of these have been disappointing. The Vibram soles are still in good condition, but the sole units have separated from the boot uppers. I have to apply lashings of waterproof glue to keep the things usable.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I now have a pair of these Canyon Guide boots and I’ll let you know how they go. First impressions - very impressed! Very light, far lighter than what I currently use, extremely well made, comfortable- but of course the proof of the pudding will be in the wading. (and the durability). Looking forward to getting them wet.
Attachments
0CA61BFE-C7DB-4786-987B-9A73194D2CF1.jpeg
0CA61BFE-C7DB-4786-987B-9A73194D2CF1.jpeg (104.03 KiB) Viewed 3427 times

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”