PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gday

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Jason King
Answers: 0

Gday

Post by Jason King »

Gday all,

Thank you Paul for running this forum, I have been learning heaps.
I am a beginner to casting sport although I have been flyfishing for around 30 years.

I went to a day that was organised by some very competent casters last year to try to “improve” my casting.
Little did I realise that I would be completely blown away by the ease of casting when performed the correct way.

I was a self taught caster and I learnt how to cast from 3M videos and any other source I could get my hands on as a teenager.
I went to this day to hopefully learn how to cast a full fly line....funny how this was my driving force...but came away realising that there is a lot more to fly casting than I previously realised.

I wanted to learn how to cast as easily as these instructors had shown.
It also became apparent this was not going to happen over night.
I basically had to completely start over again and try to get rid of 30 years of bad habits.

I am now on my journey to casting easier and am lucky enough to have John helping me.
Unfortunately due to Covid my meetings with him have been slowed right down but I have been practicing almost daily (weather permitting) and I film myself to see where I need to improve.
Some days I feel like I am starting to do well but others I am still quite bad lol.

Anyway nice to meet you all......hopefully I can ask the occasional question....
Cheers,
Jason.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Gday

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the Board!!! :cool:

I’ve never had so many Eureka moments in life as I have with fly casting! I sometimes wonder what this obsession of casting is all about. I’m still not sure but I do know it’s a lifetime of work :D

I was lucky. I got into casting sport after only about 20 years of FFing!! You have a leading top coach there helping you mate :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Thanks Paul,
Your not wrong with the eureka moments, I have already experienced a few.
I am hoping to experience a lot more.😁
I think you definitely need an obsessive compulsive disorder to be any good at it.😂
Luckily I fit this bill fairly well.😂😳🤪

Jason.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It would probably be a good idea to write the Eureka moments down Jason. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve experienced the same Eureka moment again. Once I even wrote about it on the Board and the reply I got back was “you’ve already told us this”!!! :D

Plans for Sweden or is competition a longer term idea? If you’re in Sweden next year we can share a beer. Otherwise I’ll be sure to be back in Oz in the not too distant future. Spending time Down Under is a big part of my life :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Haha...Sharing beers is what I live for...I’m an Aussie!.....I hope to meet you next time your in Aus!......yeh at this stage I would say any plans for comp would be a longer term plan...tbh I have only been learning for 12 months so I feel like I have a long way to go....I think if it wasn’t for COVID I would have progressed more but maybe doing it tough may make me a better caster in the long run?
I am really enjoying the learning experience and the challenge.
Good tip on writing down the eureka moments as it could help me to look back on when things are going pear shaped to see if i need to go through the “eureka moment” once again lol
I have noticed that if I don’t spend enough time bolstering the repetitive movements, as soon as I try to learn another movement the last one gets forgotten.
Can get very annoying....but also very challenging.

Cheers,
Jason.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

G'day Jason,

Looking forward to a resumption of casting after I get a clearance to leave the house. I had a great afternoon last time we got together and trust it will not be long until we can have a chat and a cast again. Don't forget the 2 essentials for a successful casting session, a thermos of tea and a comfortable chair, everything else flows from that.

Stay safe mate,

John
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Jason King wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:11 am I am now on my journey to casting easier and am lucky enough to have John helping me.
Welcome to Board Jason. Good to add to the contingent from Oz.

Like your choice of journey and guide. Good road to travel. :)

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Hi John,
I went straight out after last casting day and bought a shiney new thermos and I dug out the chair from the shed.👍😁
I had a great day as well and I am looking forward to many more.
Look after yourself mate.

Hi Mark,
Nice to meet you mate👍

Jason.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

You're well on the way now mate. Excellent, the key element in casting is the equipment.

See ya' soon and stay safe,

John

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”