PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Casting Practice

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Geenomad
Answers: 0

Fly Casting Practice

Post by Geenomad »

Just to let you folks know that I’ve added a main course sized piece on fly casting practice to the menu on my casting site. http://thecuriousflycaster.com/fly-casting-practice/

I have a thing for what (applied) science can add to casting and the result has been a series – Physics (mechanics) => Biomechanics => Sensory Motor Learning => Practice. It’s logical progression and practice is where the rubber meets the road.

The latest piece explores how we can use practice to improve what we are doing and to learn new things. Sports science gives us a few clues on how to do that better and faster – a learning edge, another look at efficiency. As ever I only preach what I practice and I’m quite sure that a re-jig of how and what I practice has been very helpful.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Fly Casting Practice

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mark

Good stuff! Thanks 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Geenomad wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:05 am Just to let you folks know that I’ve added a main course sized piece on fly casting practice to the menu on my casting site. http://thecuriousflycaster.com/fly-casting-practice/

I have a thing for what (applied) science can add to casting and the result has been a series – Physics (mechanics) => Biomechanics => Sensory Motor Learning => Practice. It’s logical progression and practice is where the rubber meets the road.

The latest piece explores how we can use practice to improve what we are doing and to learn new things. Sports science gives us a few clues on how to do that better and faster – a learning edge, another look at efficiency. As ever I only preach what I practice and I’m quite sure that a re-jig of how and what I practice has been very helpful.

Cheers
Mark
Thanks, very interesting.
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Good stuff, thanks Mark!
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mark,

A good read. The last bit was the most interesting to me. I structure my practise into four disciplines; Accuracy, Speys, Distance and Presentation Casts and try to divide my time equally between them. However I work on one discipline for weeks and possibly months almost to the exclusion of the others.

I think that’s because I find when practising the same thing again and again I “hit a wall” and the only way to cast over the wall is have a break. That way when I come back to that particular discipline again I feel invigorated and fresh.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”