PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Analysing loop propagation

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Analysing loop propagation

Post by Graeme H »

Flu cast being a fly cast? Yes. The wave is propagating upwards (but don't forget gravity.)

I'll post a video tonight showing the wave travelling upwards. I've worked out I can do this without a 50m tower - the balcony at work is high enough.
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Post #19
The tip trajectory. You may include a circle if you wish. At some time it does not represent a mend anymore.

Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

If I throw my line against a wall, the wave stops, why does the rest of the line all end up against the wall anyway?
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 am If I throw my line against a wall, the wave stops, why does the rest of the line all end up against the wall anyway?
Because the fly leg is also a projectile. This thread is about loop propagation, but the two are closely tied.
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Merlin wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 pm Post #19
The tip trajectory. You may include a circle if you wish. At some time it does not represent a mend anymore.

Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum.

Merlin
So which of the casts was the last transverse wave? And why?
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

And here we have the results of the thought experiment I mentioned earlier, now presented as a physical experiment:

What you should observe here are a few quite obvious transverse waves that propagate upwards towards the tethered end of the line. If it wasn't tethered and the line was free to fall, the loop would be rising at a similar rate to the line's decent, making it appear to float.

During the last cast, I've asked my assistant to release the tether as the wave rises. That transverse wave immediately becomes a loop. That is, as a caster I did nothing with the rod tip to transform this wave into a loop. All that changed was the release of the tether. (Got that Merlin? I did not alter the tip trajectory - the wave had already been propagated and was rising at the time that it became a "loop wave", whatever that is ...)

So, how do you guys explain the final loop that was clearly a transverse wave before the release? If all I showed was the line at the 30 second mark (see below) would you have called it a loop or a wave? Is it now a loop or is it still a wave?
failed_wave.jpg
Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Graeme H wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:34 am
Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 am If I throw my line against a wall, the wave stops, why does the rest of the line all end up against the wall anyway?
Because the fly leg is also a projectile. This thread is about loop propagation, but the two are closely tied.
Excuse me it is only to understand, not to counter an argument that exceeds my knowledge, if the loop were a wave, when it hits the wall it should rise and not go out, but perhaps it is a belief of those who do not know things.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Graeme

You create a completely artificial situation to justify your theory (how many followers). Do you cast vertical lines when you fish?

In the north hemisphere at least, our lines are somewhat horizontal as we start the cast. It seems not to be the case in Australia.

Please do not try to convince me again, try with someone else.

Thanks

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Spreadsheets.
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep that doesn’t help me at all :D I suppose the differences are tethered end and gravity. But I have definitely moved two steps closer to James :D

Sorry I brought it up :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”