PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Focus Points

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Focus Points

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

While I agree that we don't need the equations to cast, without it being quantifiable, you end up with remarks like you'll get 10-20% longer casts by using a rod that has a hollow handle so the blank can bend the last 20 cm's freely... Yes that was a honest prediction by a brand ambassador to a friend recently! Friend was casting 40 meters and was told that using the said rod would add 5-8 meters to his cast, and that with less effort on his part...
That's why knowing a bit of the physics behind, and having people actually crunch numbers and debunk stuff is useful. I don't mind people telling others that by painting their nose green they'll throw nicer loops, as long as it's just a psycological trick to get to and end. it's when they then claim that painting my nose green will have me throwing further and better than ever before with less effort, I like to tell them to stuff it ;-)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t use physics at all while casting Graeme! I learn to cast by doing and I learn what works by experimenting. Where I do involve physics is trying to understand how it works. Personally I find that quite fascinating, particularly since there are still many unknowns.

Occasionally - rarely - I find it a bit disappointing too, because one can find knowledgeable people who sometimes have a sense of superiority over understanding the “how” better than others. Fortunately in the comp casting world you won’t find them (although one frequently finds them in the instructor world :( ). I’m not sure what drives people the need to feel more important than others - it must be a lonely existence! Actually I do know what causes it. Mostly it comes from their childhood and they haven’t sorted their shit out yet - eg Trump!

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter because the most important things are to enjoy the casting, being able to throw a nice loop, and of course the most important part of all is to fish as much as we can! But I’ll always be interested in the “how”. No doubt I’m just hardwired to be intrigued. And I still have a lot of bloody questions to ask :cool:

How are things down there mate? 1/3rd of Malaysia is back in lockdown again. This time the politicians caused it by holding an election in Easy Malaysia, which had some COVID clusters, there was lots of travelling to vote FFS and now KL is in lockdown again. Unbelievably inept. Went from being under control to second wave - politics first, country second. Fortunately I’m still on the lake.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:20 pm I don’t use physics at all while casting Graeme! I learn to cast by doing and I learn what works by experimenting. Where I do involve physics is trying to understand how it works. Personally I find that quite fascinating, particularly since there are still many unknowns.

Occasionally - rarely - I find it a bit disappointing too, because one can find knowledgeable people who sometimes have a sense of superiority over understanding the “how” better than others. Fortunately in the comp casting world you won’t find them (although one frequently finds them in the instructor world :( ). I’m not sure what drives people the need to feel more important than others - it must be a lonely existence! Actually I do know what causes it. Mostly it comes from their childhood and they haven’t sorted their shit out yet - eg Trump!

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter because the most important things are to enjoy the casting, being able to throw a nice loop, and of course the most important part of all is to fish as much as we can! But I’ll always be interested in the “how”. No doubt I’m just hardwired to be intrigued. And I still have a lot of bloody questions to ask :cool:

How are things down there mate? 1/3rd of Malaysia is back in lockdown again. This time the politicians caused it by holding an election in Easy Malaysia, which had some COVID clusters, there was lots of travelling to vote FFS and now KL is in lockdown again. Unbelievably inept. Went from being under control to second wave - politics first, country second. Fortunately I’m still on the lake.

Cheers, Paul
I completely agree, the reason why 35 years ago I preferred to remain a simple club instructor is precisely because I felt that sense of superiority from some patented pitchers (it would take a special psychologist for the evaluation), then I repented but peace went like this, that's why I say (viva sexyiloops).
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I have to go and lie down now, Paul has agreed with me and I now agree with him :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ninja:

World must be coming to an end :upside:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok that’s it. Put on your crash helmets and get your snorkels out. Armageddon!

I haven’t tried the grip in question but if it’s going to add 8m to my cast then it’s quite remarkable :D What I don’t understand about it, is that there is a slot that allows the butt to flex through. What happens if you’ve twisted the reel out of plane, or are making Spey casts? Obviously it’s not bending very much otherwise this would be an issue. Anyway the blank flexes under the cork and if the rod has significant action there you can feel it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

If it indeed added what they say it does, wouldn't every bloody competition caster be all over it? Thing was, I asked, and they said it didn't adhere to me, as I was a "good caster".... :D

I once overheard one of the ambassadors sell the rod with: You might not cast further, but you'll cast the same distance with less effort! Of course you have to use a energy efficient casting style to achieve that too...

And yes I have tried the rods, several of them, and I'm not a fan of having a blanket of air between my hand and the blank, to enhance the feel :p
Big fan of the reelseat though! Loved it on my old spinning rods.

Ok, of to prepare for armaggedon, where's me steeltoe boots and my groin protection?

Cheers
Lasse

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:20 pm How are things down there mate? 1/3rd of Malaysia is back in lockdown again. This time the politicians caused it by holding an election in Easy Malaysia, which had some COVID clusters, there was lots of travelling to vote FFS and now KL is in lockdown again. Unbelievably inept. Went from being under control to second wave - politics first, country second. Fortunately I’m still on the lake.

Cheers, Paul
Western Australia is essentially COVID free. We have not had a community-transmitted case in four months. The only cases we have are travellers in quarantine, totalling 24 active cases today. Our borders are still locked down to all travellers, either from overseas or from other states of Australia. Most West Aussies are very happy with that situation too, since we have a very normal lifestyle happening. There are no masks or social distancing, no curfews, no restrictions on sporting events or movies or pubs. The penalty for that freedom is not being able to visit friends and family in other states, but for most of us, that's okay. (That complacency might bite us on the arse eventually - if it does get out, we are not ready for it and we'll get a big spike in cases before we shut it down.)

Australia wide, only NSW and Victoria have any real ongoing community transmission. Victoria has been in lockdown for the last month or so but they only had two new cases yesterday so it looks like they are nearly ready to come out of lockdown.

I plan to come and visit your boat as soon as I can. Don't let it sink before I get there. :D

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Graeme H wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:20 pm Physics equations help quantify casting, but understanding the concepts underlying the equations is enough to predict the outcome of a novel action on your part. Equations of physics are useless for most of us. Practical applications of physics have teaching and learning outcomes.
Exactly. But you already knew that. :D

Concepts are useful things and that includes thoughts about fly casting. Concepts can be used as external cues when teaching or practicing. Equations cannot.

With that concept in mind Physics gives me a concept of the "why" from which the "how" can be refined. It is a complement to trial and error.

Which leads me to wonder why the contributions to other thread in Teaching have largely not been concerned with teaching and why in this thread in Flycasting, the applicable physics continue to be contested. Bollocks indeed.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s probably my fault. I don’t have separate drawers for socks and underpants. In fact I keep all of my clothes in one box.
93353AD8-AE26-4F77-BDE4-A1AD3F25CFD0.jpeg
93353AD8-AE26-4F77-BDE4-A1AD3F25CFD0.jpeg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Sometimes I keep fishing reels in there too.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I usually have a couple of lines and a rod too....

Cheers
Lasse

And the odd fly

Return to “Flycasting”