PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Recent FP from Paul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Recent FP from Paul

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi

Underlining/Overlining again, I hope I wont start a neverendig coversation here😁😁😁...
Underlining for quick shots... and what you wrote Paul make me think, lets see if correct?

Paul,  You mention TLT, where they underline few weights, but cast only small dry flies, give them heavy tungsten nymph and there is no more TLT
  Trout distance 5wt line 10wt rod( written on a blank)      , and small fluff(weightless), but put a clouser or tungsten wolly bugger on that set up and I don't think it will work nicely.

Snakehead shots, you say you underline HT10 with 9wt line. That is fine, but 9wt line is already thick  enough to turnover your popper.

If lighter is faster, why not shot quicker for a snakehead with TD set up?

I fish RIO OBS on my 8 weight, and it weights as 11wt line, but I don't care. I can cast slow and  fast, I can cast big and small flies.
  If somebody tells me I use it because I don't know how to cast- well bring it on😁

There are few things we should follow while choosing our set up, but on the end of the day it is whatever floats your boat.

Ps.
  The over weight line, advertise a quicker loading, not shooting, but that is a different story.

Cheers
Mike
Bianchetti Ivan

Re: Recent FP from Paul

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

As I imagine you know, nymph fishing does not count with the size of the line, on the contrary the thinner the line the more effective the nymph is, here the sinking and the type of sinking come into play, they say that the light line is faster , I think the difference between a light line and a heavy line is in the speed the pitcher must use to throw that weight.
Ivan.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:44 am

I fish RIO OBS on my 8 weight, and it weights as 11wt line, but I don't care. I can cast slow and  fast, I can cast big and small flies.
  If somebody tells me I use it because I don't know how to cast- well bring it on😁

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike

You use it because you don't know how to cast :D :D :D :D :D

Let's see what comes out of the video's, didn't manage in the weekend, but hopefully will before Paul comes back to the virtuel world, so we can compare ;)

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. I've been known to throw the old rio outbound 12 on a rod someone thought should be used with a 3 weight line.... :p
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

I think Bernd said once, that choose your fly first, or flies you mostly will be usinge and then choose your tackle.

Regarding speed with heavy head like OBS, I also think that short head 30ft can mak it possible. Quick pick up if 35 feet, less time to unroll and of she goes. It happens quick so I dont even feel the overweight😁
Mike
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Mike,
Good questions. I (think) I feel the same as you do.
To be honest, I think things are being made overly complex.
Paul says (and I agree) the order of importance is fly --> fly line --> rod
I also fish rio outbound short's for pike fishing and choose this heavy line because it casts my streamer nicely. So if I would like my rod to feel stiffer, I would choose a stiffer rod. Easy as that.
If I remember well, Paul's exact words are that if you underline/overline a rod, you bought the wrong rod. So great if you underline for faster shots. But stating it's THE way to get faster shot's sounds strange to me (We have upfront chosen this specific fly line for our fly). And saying a heavier line is about the same as using a softer rod is even stranger. ;)

Cheers, Bart
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:01 pm I think Bernd said once, that choose your fly first, or flies you mostly will be usinge and then choose your tackle.

Regarding speed with heavy head like OBS, I also think that short head 30ft can mak it possible. Quick pick up if 35 feet, less time to unroll and of she goes. It happens quick so I dont even feel the overweight😁
Mike
I think any instructor worth their salt says fly first, line to carry fly, then use whatever bendy stick that tickles your fancy ;) Even Paul usually says that :yeahhh:

Cheers
Lasse

George C

Post by George C »

The false albacore fishery often requires very fast shots. Some guys (including Mark Sedotti) strongly advocate using a very short and stiff rod (such as the Loomis Pro 4x Short Stix) and a short head heavily overweighted line to make these casts. Does anyone have experience trying this.........or thoughts about it?
https://www.gloomis.com/content/gloomis ... tStix.html
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I too had found Paul's advice to be somewhat off target as a general one size fits all tonic.

In my world, with flies on the larger end of the spectrum, I would suggest over lining the fly, and then maybe over rodding the line... for the quickest delivery.

The line has to be able to deliver the fly first. Other things like the rod and the leader come next.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Michal Duzynski

bartdezwaan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm Hi Mike,
Good questions. I (think) I feel the same as you do.
To be honest, I think things are being made overly complex.
Cheers, Bart
Hi
Exactly, "overly complex"
I am glad few others have similar aproach to mine.
Timing if this subject is good- Pauls FP, bendig/loading importance on facebook( Rio- casting tip), and the funniest Polish facebook fly fishing group.
The latest has always the same problem " this fly line is not working", " you have to load it more"- says the other😁
Somebody calls somebody Harry Poter, because he is fishing with 8wt rod and 5wt line, and it has to be for sure magic as this kind of set up should not work😁
I think it is time for another Mike's Duzynski video for Polish public, in order ti take them out from a dark basement.

There is too much talking, and not much casting practice, this is what I see
....back to subject
-When I first bought my Echo Salt 3S 8wt, I thought, wow what a cannon, but now after casting distance ( light line in higher rated rods) when I take the 3S in hand, it just feel fine, nothing special, super fast, just a regular rod I like to fish with and it does everything I need from small surf candies to big articulated gamechangers.
- quick shots, I see plenty Belgium Cast deliveries( in some situations) because it is safe on you and your rod, but even with underline rod it wont be faster as quick overhead PUALD,
- I fish for carp with 7'9" soft 3wt rod and a 3wt DT line and it feels great. Sometimes I need to do a quick shot to crusing fish, and I dont think I would do it better with 1wt DT line. The rod it self is a softy already.

...and last , few minutes ago I took a butt section of my 2pcs 10' T36 rod( my ST rod) and 5MED with fluff. This thing has no tip, just 2 guides, and has nothing to do with bending as such.
Great casting, easy, far with dbl haul- would not be my fishing choice but it can be done.
On the funny note, as soon as my fluff cought a little stick, the casting was over, which proves again FLY- LINE- ROD selection.

Again- too much theorytical bulshit out there not enough doing..

P.s
Does anybody know what line rate I could describe my rod with( for Polish public explanation)?
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20190404_104932.jpg
20210113_081616-956x165.jpg
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Thats a very nice 3 weight chech nymph rod you got there Mike 😉

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”