PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Scotsman
Answers: 0

Re: The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Post by Scotsman »

bebob wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 pm I'm afraid that spending money for Vivarelli is not going to solve your problem. The Decathlon reel has the exact same mechanics as the Vivarelli. I wouldn't like you to spend yet more money for nothing.
Yes it certainly looks that way. I've not come across any that are similar to the Mitchell 710 either, an improved version of that type with possibly less winding up so often would be a bonus. I've seen reels that are described as Automatic but from the description it doesn't say exactly what they mean by that. They may just be semi automatic but wrongly described as automatic.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I noticed in the comments on this video about a Franco Vivarelli that a couple of people have said you can just play the fish from the reel. One person says they catch 20lb carp. Mine was only a Vivarelli replica but there's no way I could do that, as I said earlier, the slightest resistance on the line and it just wouldn't come in at all. Link>
I've now bought a second hand Mitchell 710 from Ebay fairly cheap to keep as a spare.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

UPDATE: I've now tried the second-hand Mitchell 710 Automatic that I bought from Ebay (£28) and the difference between that and my old one is like night and day. I think the spring on my old one must have become gradually weak after over 40 years of use without me realising because my 'new' one has so much power in comparison, it must not have been used that much. It handled 2.5lbs and 2lbs rainbows on the reservoir with no problem at all using the technique Bob suggested which was reeling in by lowering the rod tip. The fish were less able to run far with this reel and I think that's as good as I will get. Thanks for all the help with this guys, I'm happy enough with this now.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great Alan! It must be possible to replace the old spring on the original Mitchell too - although this might not be a job to try at home :D Excellent price on the second hand one! I’m still curious if it’s possible to adjust the mechanism with the Decathlon reel such that it can wind line under more tension.

I’ll keep a look out for these reels.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
carlz

Post by carlz »

I'm going to have to practice the one handed fishing so I can hold the flask in the other hand.

I also don't know how much I worry about the pulling power of the reel for the fishing I do. Pumping the rod and retrieving on the drop should work well enough. If I catch a 3 pound fish, I'm ecstatic
Fla

Post by Fla »

Hi

I just stumbled upon this, fly reels with an electromotor: http://www.electroautomaticflyreels.com/index.html

If I remember correctly, somebody was interested in operating the reel with only one hand (did not go through the whole thread again). This part might be of particular interest:
"Is there a version that allows complete one handed operation?
Officially not yet. But we are working hard to develop an electroautomatic fly reel that can be operated by the casting hand completely. The goal is to be able to retrieve line, to extend line and ideally even to adjust the brake/drag force - all with your casting hand. We do already have a few prototypes ready for test and we would be very interested to provide them to special customers willing to test them and provide feedback. Alternatively we can also develop versions with controls in other locations or detached from the reel (connected by cable), if your movement is limited somehow.
Please contact us if you are interested to test a version allowing complete one handed operation, with controls in a different position or detached from the reel or if you are looking for a fly reel with any other "fancy" features."

kind regards
Flavio
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Fla wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:51 pm Hi

I just stumbled upon this, fly reels with an electromotor: http://www.electroautomaticflyreels.com/index.html

If I remember correctly, somebody was interested in operating the reel with only one hand (did not go through the whole thread again). This part might be of particular interest:
"Is there a version that allows complete one handed operation?
Officially not yet. But we are working hard to develop an electroautomatic fly reel that can be operated by the casting hand completely. The goal is to be able to retrieve line, to extend line and ideally even to adjust the brake/drag force - all with your casting hand. We do already have a few prototypes ready for test and we would be very interested to provide them to special customers willing to test them and provide feedback. Alternatively we can also develop versions with controls in other locations or detached from the reel (connected by cable), if your movement is limited somehow.
Please contact us if you are interested to test a version allowing complete one handed operation, with controls in a different position or detached from the reel or if you are looking for a fly reel with any other "fancy" features."

kind regards
Flavio
Interesting, thanks for that.

Return to “Tackle”