PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Ribbed Grip

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Ribbed Grip

Post by Paul Arden »

Phil mentioned in another thread that he was using a wire “rib” below grip tape, as they use in golf, but top and bottom, and kindly sent me some grip tape to try. This is still work in progress for me, but I’ve ribbed HT8 and HT10s so far with the wire rib, also both top and bottom. With one (the second one I wrapped), I have offset the lower rib slightly around the handle (clockwise looking down from the butt) and at a slight angle to mirror the groove in my fingers for the Cradle Grip.

First impressions? Love it. Time will tell but for people struggling to keep the rod in plane with this loose finger (Cradle) grip I think this will assist. Also I can imagine it will assist tracking too, which no doubt is the primary function! I can see this being a bit of a game-changer.
29BCC930-4709-4B3D-B024-3A4F601C468A.jpeg
29BCC930-4709-4B3D-B024-3A4F601C468A.jpeg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Ribbed Grip

Post by James9118 »

This could take your marketing to the next level:
"The Sexyloops Hot Torpedo - Ribbed for Your Pleasure and Comfort"

When I retire you should hire me as your marketing guru.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m actually using KY jelly as line lubricant at the moment. I think there is a theme developing.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I was exploring a number of grips options about 10 years ago to facilitate the Cradle Grip, from the idea of having a ring attached to the grip for the third and fourth fingers to a fencing (Zorro) style grip with a “knuckle” between first and second fingers. While there has been attempts to modify the standard grip shape, apart from the Maniform handle, I think they’ve mostly been about trying to be different rather than actually having an advantageous function. The carbon sleeve grips do allow some new design but they are costly to make and don’t appeal to everyone.

About 20 years ago a friend of mine in Spain invented a system where he took a clay imprint of the rod hand and then used a lathe to cut the same shape into cork. It was quite bizarre for the Spanish to discover that I have this “crooked thunb” grip when they are all “finger pointers”. It was a great idea but would need some thought because I (and I’m sure others) don’t use only one grip but many, from V, finger pointing to Cradle and so on. And of course many of us cast ambitious as well.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Hi paul, one question, doesn't that iron under the tape have the same function as a carbon tube tucked into the heel? that can also be customized as rigidity.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know because I haven’t tried that Bianchetti! Apart from putting the heel of the hand on the upper reel seat (TLT)? In that case I think it’s a little bit different because I think it gives a different sensation tracking with the upper hand as opposed to lower hand, but if the tendency is to rotate/apply force with the top of the hand and not the bottom then I think it would be counterproductive. Where it really assists I think is this grip:
C37FAAF8-23A5-4F4C-B7F6-6531A5697D82.png
C37FAAF8-23A5-4F4C-B7F6-6531A5697D82.png (429.54 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Here I think it truly helps keeping rod alignment particularly when you slow the stroke. Many people have problems stopping the reel from rotating the rod around in the hand when holding the rod in the curve of the fingers.

All that said I think its primary benefit is for rod orientation and tracking at accuracy. I’ll fit them to my accuracy rods next.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Below is a grip style that Paul H. Young used on some of the rods he made in the 50s. There were various styles with different finger groves. I think the spaces in the cork were mainly added to allow the rod to flex more through the handle but I think they could be used for some traction and to align the bottom fingers.

Do you see a lot of tracking errors from the grip slipping or moving? I would imagine most of them come from the wrist not breaking in the same plane as the cast and maybe the body rotating.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I would think it just gives another focal point to assist tracking. I’ll have to put it through some hands to form a stronger opinion. Interesting cork configuration. Mine would be full of fish slime in no time :)

Flycasting Definitions
Nick

Post by Nick »

Interesting.
What kind of grip tape is that? I have a rod where the grip is so worn that it needs to be replaced, but as I would rather fish than work on rod repairs, grip tape might be the answer. Messing around with a rib at the same time of course!

Return to “Flycasting”