PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

HT6 in Salt

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

George C
Answers: 0

HT6 in Salt

Post by George C »

Been about a year since I built this HT6.
thumbnail-10.jpeg
thumbnail-10.jpeg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Pretty standard build although it carries an extra guide on the tip section (which allowed me to place guides on each of the top two ferrules to reduce stress across these spots). I matched the rod with a Sage Spectrum LT 5/6, loaded with plenty of Diawa Samauri #40 braid as backing, and either a Mastery Standard 6wt (for cold water) or a SL Thunderbolt 6 (for summer and tropics). These reels don't get much respect, probably because they can't crank out umpteen lbs of drag, but if you're looking for a very light reel with a decent sealed drag they are very hard to beat. They put out about 3lbs of drag which is plenty for 10-12lb tippet I use.

I built this rod primarily to practice with.......and, man o man, is it ever great for that. So great, however, that cried out to be fished. So fish it I have. And the little rod has way exceeded expectations.
thumbnail-8.jpeg
thumbnail-8.jpeg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
thumbnail-9.jpeg
thumbnail-9.jpeg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
thumbnail-7.jpeg
thumbnail-7.jpeg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
thumbnail-4.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Not that any of these fish are special. At best they are everyday average sort of stuff. But on a 6wt the everyday stuff begins to feel special. And special fish take on another dimension entirely. I don't have pictures but on the bonefish trip (DIY all wading) the HT6 easily handled two fish in the 8-9lb class (25.75" fork length). We had plenty of wind but until it reached the honest high teens (at which point I switched to a HT7) the HT6 was the rod that saw the most use.

I'm not necessarily advocating the HT6 for powerful saltwater fish in deep water. It can do it but the lifting becomes dicey. If you fish on foot, however, or from a boat in shallow water, and a 6wt line can handle the fly you need to cast .......well life is too short not to take advantage of this amazing little rod.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: HT6 in Salt

Post by Paul Arden »

Looks like you’re having a lot of fun with that rod, George. That’s fantastic!! :D :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”