PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Line Trays

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bass
Answers: 0

Line Trays

Post by bass »

Hi,

I've tried a couple of line tray - neither worked very well:

- too bulky
- couldn't mount it low enough for my still of retrieve

I quite like the look of this one.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks,

Bass
Viking Lars

Line Trays

Post by Viking Lars »

Hey Bass!

I've used ine trays for stillwater fishing for over 15 years, and I wouldn't be without one!

I use http://linekurv.dk/, which is made in Denmark, and is in fact the best I've used.

In my experience, trays like the one you've liked to are OK if you're not managing too much shooting line or wading deep enough for water to rise up through the mesh and make a big mess of your line.

It takes a little while to get used to a tray like Linekurv.dk or the Orvis tray, but they are far superior to anything else. And forget about all the good advice from people who drill holes in the bottoem to drain water (water will come IN through those holes as well).

As for trays getting in the way of your retrieve, you can get a long way by moving the tray around your waist and more or less over to your side.

Lars
Ré_

Line Trays

Post by Ré_ »

Hi,

I use this modified William Joseph basket for years now (and a lot of other Hungarian guys too) and they work:
http://www.sexyloops.com/2012.shtml?1230

Cheers,

Ákos
bass

Line Trays

Post by bass »

Hi Lars & Akos,

Yup - agree with everything you both say!

My issue with solid baskets is the comfort factor, weight, etc

My issue with ANY tray (so far) is that they sit too high.

I tend to retrieve with the rod at hip height, and my left starts its retrieve at the same level and then drops to half way up my thigh - and THIS is where I need the top of the tray to be.

Don't mind adjusting my retrieve a bit, but still need the top of the tray to be a good lower than waist or even hip height.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Bass
Jonathan

Line Trays

Post by Jonathan »

A collapsible one for travel would be great, but the rigid ones are a nightmare to pack.
I just use:
a) a cheap plastic box with holes drilled (to drain water as mine occasionally goes for a swim with me),
b) a piece of yoga mat cut to fit in the bottom and stop the line sliding (cut this out the centre of your wife's yoga mat for maximum effect :666: ),
c) five of the "spout things" for silicone stuck through the yoga mat to stop the line sliding around (even more), and
d) A rubber stretchy to go around your waist and hook onto the box. Attach this with cable ties through holes in the box - if the stretchy hooks go through holes in the plastic box (the easy way) the line mates with them :evil: .
I would take a picture of mine and post it, but parts b) to d) are packed for departure to CI later today. I shall hopefully find a cheap plastic box there and abandon it after the trip. Easy travel for sure.
Jon
TrevH

Line Trays

Post by TrevH »

What about the c&f line pallet? I think you can attach it to your thigh and it doesn't have sides so is much lower?

Never used one but might be worth considering?

Cheers
Trev
bass

Line Trays

Post by bass »

Ha! You got me at C&F :-)

B
bass

Line Trays

Post by bass »

Mmm! And then they got me at £59.99 - that's just taking the michael...but if it's good enough for C&F, I might try and make one!

Its a somewhat similar design to one that Carl Hutchinson used to sell.

A quick search has revealed...

- foam
- straps
- spikes

Should make 4 for £40!

B
Lasse Karlsson

Line Trays

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Do a search for the flexistripper, that's the one Carl used to well, still in produktion.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
grunde

Line Trays

Post by grunde »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Do a search for the flexistripper, that's the one Carl used to well, still in produktion.

Cheers
Lasse
When weight and size matters I also use the flexistripper. With thin running/shooting-lines I almost prefer it over bucket style trays :pirate:

Cheers,
Grunde
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”