PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Boat captain requirements in Spain vs ICC?

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

sms
Answers: 0

Boat captain requirements in Spain vs ICC?

Post by sms »

Does anybody know how the ICC relates to Spanish requirements for boat driving license levels?

Or where to ask? Would be fun to be able to go fishing on family trip also when we don’t hire a captain.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Boat captain requirements in Spain vs ICC?

Post by Paul Arden »

Have you managed to find the information Sakari? I can ask around for you.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

Nope. If you can, I’d appreciate that.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll try to find out. :)

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Spain accepts the ICC, so my UK Powerboat Level 2 is valid for boats up to 10m in favourable conditions. I would suggest confirming with the charter company first.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
sms

Post by sms »

For me it is not so much about the size, it is about the distance from the coast. I wouldn’t even want anything as big as 8m boat, but 5 miles would be a no-no. 12 miles I might be able to just barely cope with. It is all about the conditions and capability of the boat (usually surpasses the guts of the boat driver). In bad weather there is no going out as without a boat driver (captain) it is pointless to try and fish spotting is difficult. And if family on board, they would hate running in any bigger swell.

For me the point is to take or not to take a course and get the ICC to be able to go if we go on a family vacation somewhere (in Spain) where I could, on good weather day/s rent a boat and go pretty much on a whim.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Alejandro writes,
Without a title, boats up to 5 meters in length with a 15hp engine or less can be driven.
For larger boats, a title is required.
It is possible to rent boats with a skipper, but depending on the coast, finding a boat with a skipper can be complicated.
It is possible to validate a foreign navigation title from the countries adhering to the ICC, although I ignore the bureaucratic procedures.
Do you know where in Spain you want to spend your holidays?

He couldn’t get in :D I’ve reset his password!

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

Catalonia most likely, but Basque, Cantabria or Valencia could be options.

-Sakke
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Already with a new passport.
In the Mediterranean, Valencia or Catalonia, the offer of boats is good. In the south of Catalonia, the Ebro delta area offers very good fishing opportunities, possibly the best place to fly fish in the sea in Spain..
In the the Basque Country or Cantabria, there are not so many possibilities. Although it is possible to find a small boat for rent, with or without a skipper, in many cases it is done privately and there are no advertisements on the Internet. You would have to ask at the port closest to your vacation spot. Going out more than 20 miles to fish for bonito must be organized in advance, there are boats that go out to fish with groups, but they are not well prepared for fly fishing.
sms

Post by sms »

Actually captain can be a bad thing. If they don’t know how to approach for the fly presentation or don’t want to learn, they can be a hindrance and just extra cost. Yeah, in Basque Country or Cantabria I haven’t found suitable boats really.

On Med side most are also with Bimini top which is something that doesn’t belong to a boat suitable for fishing. But there are some center consoles without one too.

-Sakke

Return to “Saltwater”