PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hello from Switzerland

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Pati
Answers: 0

Hello from Switzerland

Post by Pati »

Hi Everyone

I recently moved from London to Winterthur (close to Zurich, Switzerland). I m in my mid/late 30’s and have been fly fishing and tying for almost 25 years, all largely self taught! I m fishing mostly for trout and grayling but also like big spooky chubs and barbels.y preferred approach is stalking with dries/unweighted nymphs, but I also like to swing articulated streamers. I don’t euronymph as I miss the casting action and find the EN method too repetitive/mechanical for me.

I have been lurking on sexyloops website for years, in awe of the casting performance of most of you and decided it’s time to take the plunge, ask questions and start to learn about « proper » casting! My plan over the next few years is to learn the basis of « conventional » casting/distance casting and separately also learn the basis of TLT (the Italian school of casting). I m not expecting it to revolutionise my fishing although I can imagine it will help tremendously in certain situations, BUT I’m certain it will take my enjoyment to another level as casting is half the fun in fly fishing for me! I m not after records but rather after consistency be it in distance, accuracy, trick casts (ie. I am able to get a decently accurate curve cast… but I will get 1 out of a dozen tries… if I could get to 1 out of 2-3 casts I’d be immensely pleased)!

My favourite rods are my Redington NTi but I will use my Loop Cross SX 9’ 5wt at least at the beginning of my casting journey! I also acquired a lightly used Barrio Outcast (GT140) which I understand is fairly similar to the SA MED you all seem to rave about !!!

Very much looking forward to chat with all of you!

David
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Hello from Switzerland

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi David,

Welcome to the Board!! Great to have you here :) :)

A very nice part of the world you live in, although I don’t think I could handle the winters!!

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi David

Welcome aboard, if you are getting into TLT, I'm guessing you have met Malik from SIM Suisse, if not you should do. I'm in Switzerland most years because my wife originates from there, hopefully next year.

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Pati

Post by Pati »

Hi Vince

No I have not met anyone yet here: I have 1m old newborn twins so haven’t had much time for fishing yet! But yes I will get in touch with the SIM team in due time!

Which part of Switzerland are you visiting, let me know next time you’re around and maybe I can arrange some fishing !

Cheers
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi David

We are usually in and around Lausanne but I usually bunk off from the family stuff to meet up with Malik. I won’t make it this year, I have sons in Canada and Ireland that I need to catch up with but we’ll be over for a 2-3 week period sometime next summer. There’s a very active Fly Casting Lab group that are very active on Facebook, predominantly French speakers but a friendly bunch. They seem to hook up fairly regularly if you want to do some casting geekery.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Pati

Post by Pati »

Hi Vince

Thanks, good thing with Switzerland is nothing is really very far… I speak French and Italian (but not German…) so I m definitely interested to know more about that group (although I don’t have Facebook…). Any chance you could somehow hook me up with them/Malik?

Thanks
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi David

I’ve sent you a PM, I hope to meet up with that group as well before too long.

Regards

Vince

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”