PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hello from Germany

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
DryFly
Answers: 0

Hello from Germany

Post by DryFly »

Hello at all,

my name is Reinhard , I live in the southwest of Germany, near Heidleberg.
I´m an allround fisherman and flyfish since 1980.
When fly fishing, I like most dry fly fishing, but due to a lack of good dry fly water in my area, I fish a lot for pike in the lakes or with nymphs for whitfish in the river neckar.
I´m a bit of a tackle fanatic, so I have about 130 + fly rods, made of carbon, glass or bamboo.
I also do rodbuilding since 1980, my first fly rod was also my first rod I build.
I like DTs or longbelly lines for the lighter rods and allways liked to carry long lines.
So far I was "only" aiming to cast my normal 27 or 30 yard lines up to the backing knot.( not always when fishing but at least when casting under good conditions)
This was enough for my fishing :D
I tested all the availible longbelly lines, allways aiming for the best line/rod combination for my standart fishing rods.
Just last winter I started to practise a bit for even longer distance, when I read about the trout distance competition.
Years ago I bought a used ED 6 / competition for fishing. Luckily i didnt shortend it, so it is still 36m long. So my first tests were done with this line.
This spring I got the ED 5 Competition and cast it with different rods from from # 6+ to # 9.

When rod building I do not only just finish a ready blank, but I also tune them a little bit ( cutting the "weak" spots), or make 4-piece blanks from 2-piece blanks or 8-piece blanks from 4-piece blanks.

I tie my on flys but only for the fish, not for fishermen. So they are not always good looking but effective.

Reinhard
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Reinhard,

Welcome to the Board. That sounds very interesting to me cutting up the rods. You must have a very big tackle room :) the ED (MED) is an excellent all round line I find.

I bet my flies are uglier than yours :D

Cheers,
Paul
A29B6880-5CBC-4799-9FF4-F364E49B37DA.jpeg
A29B6880-5CBC-4799-9FF4-F364E49B37DA.jpeg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Reinhard

Welcome to the board!

Like Paul said, it sure sounds interesting with cutting up rods. Many, many years ago, I also dabbled a bit with building my own rods. And I actually did try to turn a 9 feet 3-piece blank into a 6-piece blank, by using spigot joints. That sure was an interesting and rewarding project! I would sure love to learn more about how you go about doing this.

/Bendix
DryFly

Post by DryFly »

Thank you Paul. We extra moved to get 2 more rooms in the basement!

Hi Bendix, if you have any question about cutting/spigoting just ask.
I made over the years several hundred spigots and only the first one broke!
I do write in the german "Rutenbauforum" about some of my projekts and I can send you some links.

Reinhard
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Reinhard,

welcome on board!

Greetings,
Torsten

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”