PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Head length vs head weight

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Re: Head length vs head weight

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:51 pm I’m sure we have all experienced conditions at sea level that are distance killers. Fog, mist, dew fall. I generally don’t winter cast but I hear it is particularly difficult. Dmitri in Estonia told me this.
Just look up the results from the indoor event in Tallin. Anything above 32 meters 5 MED was very very good.
Outside we were also discussing air viscosity. I remember no one yet hat figured out why in some days you die at 30m while a day later 33m is possible both with zero wind. 🤔 All I know is, that these total killing days are rare and I never could nail down the main reason for the killing.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:51 pm Fog, mist, dew fall.
Agree with all those, I’ve wondered if it was something to do with carrying a mass of water but the skin drag should wipe it dry :D :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Bernd,

added the topic to the physics subforum.
Maybe you're missing the different phases of the cast, we have for instance an acceleration phase of the line and an unrolling phase. The drag force due to skin friction / from drag is a dominating factor during unrolling of the line, but less while accelerating.

Greetings,
Torsten
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:21 pm
Torsten wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:00 am @Gordy
Thanks for the skin friction computations, I did also my own and got something in the ~0.1 - 0.2 N difference for the two lines; at the moment I'd say this suggest to me that's not really something that you can feel. I'll check my equations and I'll open then a topic in the physics subforum (next week)
Hi Torsten, Gordy, Vince,
I have zero clue, what such numbers mean in terms of feel. How much Newton can I feel and where might be the end of feelabilty?
Paul could add a good ten feet carry when being in 1000m altitude (Calgary). The difference in air density isnt much on paper. But 10 feet is a lot. My experience about altitude and carry is similiar.
If skin friction plays little part.... what am I missing?
Thanks
B
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Thanks!
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Flycasting”