PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

light Line Switch Rods

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

onyxweb
Answers: 0

light Line Switch Rods

Post by onyxweb »

I couldn't find another thread on Switch rods, so forgive me if there is, and I'm re-hashing an old subject.

I have been a SH, 9' - 10' rod devotee for, well, the last 45+ years, but, by chance, I have just started using longer rods, first for summer salmon & pike, but now trout, too.

My late Godfather, was given a Bruse & Walker Century 11' 3" 5/6wt for his birthday, in the late 80s, and he used it for everything - loch style trout/seatroiut fishing in the NW of Scotland to salmon fishing in the SW of Scotland.

He used it for everthing except salmon in a spate.

And he caught A LOT of fish!

I built an 'homage' to this rod, and man :worthy: , after he died - on a Hopkins & Holloway blank - never really meaning to use for anything but lochstyle, dibbling with two droppers, but actually love it for trout and Summer salmon, just like he did, and pike too.

I've now built a #9 11' 3", and am about to build an #3 & #7 to 'complete' the range... :D

I will always have a shorter rod with me, for more enclosed bits, and windier conditions, but for pure fishing prowess, and pleasure, I think my Godfather was right! Line control is just outstanding!

I remember a bit of excitement about switch rods, about 10 or 15 years ago, but they've never really caught-on, have they?

Discuss!

Best,

Bass
bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Re: light Line Switch Rods

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Bass,
I find the term switch rod a bit strange. They say it’s because you can switch between double and single handed casting. The switch rods I tried, I would never cast single handed.
Other than that, I think light double handed rods seem to have become increasingly popular. There seem to be around a fair share of switch rods and lots of brands produce the trout spey rods.

Are your rods also build to use with two hands?

Cheers, Bart

Return to “Tackle”