PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Barramundi

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Barramundi

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi folks,

Apparently the barramundi fishing over on the coast is quite good at the moment. I’ve targeted them a little in NT, Australia. But I really don’t know much about them. They are catching them in a tidal zone.

I believe they are feeding on mullet. Since the anglers appear to eat everything they catch ( :evil: ) finding out what they are eating shouldn’t be too hard, but apparently they are empty. So I don’t know what this says really.

Anyway what can you tell me about these fish that I should know before heading over. I get the impression it’s early morning and night fishing. Subsurface. Poppers. I’ll take sinking lines too. I might sleep in the truck.

Any thoughts on what wonderful flies I should tie in advance?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: Barramundi

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

We got barras here in Fla. So far they are contained in aquaculture ponds, (and hopefully it will stay that way) but for a price you can fish for them. Although I have not tried it, from what I have heard, those are about as tough to fool as farm raised trout.

But, they appear to be very similar in shape, and fit the same ecological niche, as our snook... minus the latter's dominant lateral line. It looks like a case of parallel evolution.

As such, I would expect that a nice big mullet fly will do the trick. Gunnar Brammer does a nice job showing how to tie a good mullet fly with his "Bulkhead" videos.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Cheers Gary, I shall tie some of those!

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'm not a big chaser of these fish, but Pink Things (and other flies in the same family) are popular in Oz.

Also "Black n Barred" ...
FFi CCI
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
In Thailand both the stocked and wild ones loved shrimp flies. Medium size did well.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

These aren’t stocked thank goodness :D Nor in a pond. Here they are in the estuaries and I’m impressed by their sizes. I’m told they are chasing mullet. I must get organised and drive over. Preferably during Ramadan!

Flycasting Definitions
DryFly

Post by DryFly »

Might not help, but when I fished for them in a pond in Australia, I caught more with my popper flys than all the other spin fisher together.

Cheers
Reinhard
queenfish

Post by queenfish »

Hi Paul
Don't under estimate your popper at the right places on the top.
I have only caught one it was 10 centimeters tan zonker tail with few raps of cross cut zonker behind the eye with small bead chain eyes using inter line.
my friends caught with similar flies as well.

Return to “Flyfishing”