PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Quasimodo

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
whinging pom
Answers: 0

Quasimodo

Post by whinging pom »

Paul just have to say I have been thoroughly enjoying your recent FP’s . I know it’s probably old ground and feels oft’ repeated for you, but I for one appreciate the reminders and revisiting some of them concepts and lessons ,

I’d forgotten the bells Quasimodo.. I won’t now !

With your accuracy what would you prescribe as the ideal accuracy leader , ( I presume we’re talking a five weight set up)
Ta for now
Pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Quasimodo

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Pom,

John recommended this some time ago:

112cms of 0.60mm
54cms of 0.45mm
31cms of 0.35mm
18cms of 0.25mm
45cms of 0.20mm

Gordy also posted some formulae on this board too.

I just make sure it’s about the right length. If the boat didn’t yaw as much, I would have a set of rings strung out the back permanently.

Most of my training here however is not rings – I love casting at rings but they are just not very practical here – and so mostly I throw at stumps and leaves. And for that it’s very important that I use the leader that I fish of course. For Snakehead that’s a 10’ leader and not 9’. It’s not a hovered cast, but a slipped lift and checked shoot.

In my experience here guiding, the backcast (& the slipped lift) are the first things people forget. I see completely wild casts (no target), as well as the fly landing behind the fish (targeting the fish, which then moves). I often see collapsed casts (failure for the line to fully extend behind). Which is all fine of course, but when you only get 3-4 shots/day it’s not fine at all!!

With new guests I float my shoes out the boat as targets. If they can’t hit the shoe consistently, then how can they lead a fish under pressure? If they can then all is good; it’s just a mental game.

It’s really about doing the basics, again and again and again, and then under pressure, you just repeat the basics. It’s not a hard shot (at least the money ones aren’t) but all shots are difficult under pressure.

It’s tough; but hey that’s why we do it!! :D

Anyway yes, got sidetracked. Training in that backcast focus is key!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “FP Discussions”