PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Does line friction effect carry?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

alanj
Answers: 0

Re: Does line friction effect carry?

Post by alanj »

Doh .... I've just started building my own rods ( well sticking bits on blanks anyway, does that count as building? ). The first thing I'm told to do is check the spines and make sure they all align so that the rod action is "sweet"( whatever that means ).

Next you'll be telling me that orange lines don't actually cast any further!
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Are you positioning the rings through the plane of bending or against the spine, Alan? I’ve heard both recommended!

All the manufacturers I know ring the rod to make it look straightest. On “modern” blanks (of the past 30 years) I doubt the spine makes a difference. Certainly I can’t tell if a rod is spined or otherwise by casting, and I believe the only way you can actually tell is by stripping it down again.

Which is just as well incidentally, because we cast in 3-axis. There are many casts that involve casting with the loop not aligned to the plane of the rod.

One of my favourite articles on Sexyloops:
https://www.sexyloops.com/articles/loopcontrol.shtml
Think of the contortions the rod has to go through to make these happen!! Oval Casts, Snake Rolls, even the Roll Cast would have some serious problems if Rod Spine was an issue.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

alanj wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:59 am Doh .... I've just started building my own rods ( well sticking bits on blanks anyway, does that count as building? ). The first thing I'm told to do is check the spines and make sure they all align so that the rod action is "sweet"( whatever that means ).

Next you'll be telling me that orange lines don't actually cast any further!
You haven’t done anything wrong. It’s not going to hurt your build in any way. I always do it myself, but it’s a habit rather than a requirement. I know it doesn’t matter.

Carry on and enjoy the finished rod.

Cheers, Graeme

Oh, and if the orange line is 30’ longer than the same line with a different colour scheme, it will cast further. 😜
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting”