PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Styles and techniques

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Styles and techniques

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I agree with Vince here!

Also, yeah I know tension varies along the line, I'm just saying there's tension in all casts, which makes a mockery out of continous tension advocates, that say only casts with differing loop planes between fc and bc have it. I'm a bit tired of BS.....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

VGB wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:20 am
Paul Arden wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:41 pm I have a theory. The “constant tension” idea has come about because with such a cast the weighted fly swings around as we change plane.
My theory is that people are attracted by techy bollox which adds another layer of mystery to performing and learning. Continuous movement would have made more sense but that would be too easy for people to understand.

Regards

Vince
:laugh: :laugh:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
FishNoGeek
Answers: 0

Post by FishNoGeek »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:21 pm I've stood behind and in front of enough "expert" casters by now, to know it doesn't happen. A good oval caster has as good a tracking as any good OH caster. And more OH casters would really fit in the oval box, if they had someone take a closer look ;)
So true. Recently I setup a camera over a distant target and pointed it back at me, and it was absolutely humiliating to see how bad my tracking really is. Even when I concentrated on trying to tighten it up for pure OH, short and simple and clean and crisp....better, but still a looong way from straight lines.
Paul Arden wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:41 pm PUALD vertical casts, fly straight into the back of the mangroves. That’s when I abandoned the Belgian cast idea for heavy flies.
I'm currently prepping for an Amazon trip, been training something very similar: a casual flip forward with most of the head to water load an intermediate sink brick-on-string line, PUALD with very tight loops to punch a big fly deep into the gaps. I think it's going to change how I rig for and approach the mangroves for snook and tarpon as well.
"What gets my cast into trouble isn't what I know how to do - it's what I think I know how to do that just ain't working."
- Mark Twain
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I wouldn’t call it water loading, but the advantage of this is that a) everything is stabilised and b) because the line starts low, the backcast can be high and the forward delivery low again. I was taught to really extend with both hands just as the leader is unrolling too, which gives extra distance into the mangroves. Obviously it’s about trajectories but this forward extension, well-timed, really makes a difference.

I was very impressed with Graeme’s skill at doing this. Decades of practise at work. I really had to shift my thinking at the time because what I had learned and had been teaching (Oval/Belgian) simply wasn’t good enough.

Sounds like you have a fun trip planned! What a life!! :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “FP Discussions”