PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bruce Richards video

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Bruce Richards video

Post by VGB »

You could ask him John but Dean Macey is your fishing man :D

https://www.stevebackley.com/
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Brian,

You are absolutely correct in recognising the need to capitalise on our individual physiology. That is what coaching is, or should be, about. Happy to discuss the subject further via email. It's all about body rotation and the impulse that patterning generates. The rod and line just tag along for the ride.

Good luck with your casting, you're biomechanical interrogation of other sports answers all the questions. It's then down to application. I wish I could achieve that aspect of performance.

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

Yep, reckon he would be. I wonder if he offers a travel and accomodation package with each lesson.

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Comparing the release position of the wrap (Zelezny) and linear or over shoulder (Blackley) movement patterns in javelin. Not much difference in arm angle to vertical ;) - which is better for your fly distance casting performance, shoulder or elbow as the primary accelerator of hand speed?

John
Attachments
Blackley release.png
Zelezny release.png
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Brian,

I don’t know how important strength is. The argument used to be that powerful casters use short strokes and less powerful ones longer strokes. But there is Rick and many others now using a long stroke. And then you also have some really quite skinny casters throwing 170 and being highly competitive.

Ultimately I think it comes down to technique, and to a certain extent the limitations of the tackle.

What Rick has is something he shares with Steve R., and that is a very explosive haul.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

What Rick has is something he shares with Steve R., and that is a very explosive haul.
Hmmm
It's all about impulse.
i think John's mainly right....Alejandro and Aitor explained all of this on SL at least 15 years ago.
The argument used to be that powerful casters use short strokes and less powerful ones longer strokes
Still is...generally speaking the casterati understand "work" as a concept better than "impulse". "Work" is more present in the current literature but even explaining that is sometimes a challenge.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Paul

Can you please give a direct link to that video?

Many thanks in advance

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “FP Discussions”