PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Slack line casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Malik
Answers: 0

Re: Slack line casts

Post by Malik »

No problem Matt ! The video of Sekhar is excellent (Walter posted it before I’m presently editing one filming from behind in slomo. As soon as I finished I'll let you know. I think it can help.
Take care !
M.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Malik, I’ve still got the video you sent me 3 years ago, that’s a great one for seeing what the final movement is…
I definitely fall in the camp of finding it easier if I can see what is happening, if I watch a vid enough I can start to get a feel for it…
I reckon I just need to tweak the timing… technically I was definitely making a mend earlier, so I think tomorrow it will fall into place.
Annoying I could make the cast 3 years ago, but have since lost it through too little practice😏
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Malik,

that’s typical :D I thought there might be some story behind it, but if multiple people lay claim to it that doesn’t help! I know this guy in the US also came across it accidentally while trying to throw a piece of wool through a doorway https://www.sexyloops.com/articles/loopcontrol.shtml That’s an old Sexyloops article. 2002.

I find it a difficult cast to master and I’ve played with it *a lot*. Teaching it I’ve tried casting the rod off-vertical utilising pull back at the very beginning of the stroke to throw the tail outside the rod tip. Then trying to throw the tail inside the rod tip (ie between the rod plane and the caster). Then moving the rod closer to the horizontal and breaking the 180 degree rule. A three step process.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Simultaneous discoveries are not unusual, often it seems to be the result of changing constraints because of a related discovery or a new challenge. 3 people were using the Fosbury flop at the same time and it could have easily been called the Brill bend.
you have to act on the trajectory of the line before or rather during the formation of the loop to shift the fly leg to the left or ti the right for a lefty.
I had a go at reversing the 180 break, (going from out to in, instead of in to out) after fishing yesterday and it seemed to be reversing the hook. I was wading up to my thighs and was getting a lot of line collisions, perhaps because I couldn’t separate the legs enough, I kept tickling bankside vegetation. It’s also possible that I’ve got the trajectories screwed up in my head, I’ll try again later in the week.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for the link to the article, I didn't know about this paper and I'm going to read it with great interest.
I think that even if there is some dispute about who found it first, everyone agrees that this cast was originally the result of a casting error (essentially a misapplication of force+a tracking problem) whose effect was nevertheless very interesting to exploit. Maybe a typical case of serendipity ?
Whatever, without wishing to underestimate the merits of the person or persons who first discovered it, it seems to me that the critical part was probably to manage to reproduce it on a regular basis, to really understand the mechanics of it and obviously to manage to teach it in a way other than with the only “do as I do” method. Which is a obviously a kind of collective work.
Your 3-step process seems excellent to me and it's also mine, with an intermediate step between phase 2 and 3: the half svirgolato for an excellent hook curve to the left (assuming I am right-handed).
Following this steps, out of 10 students, 6-7 manage to do this in less than an afternoon. For the others, despite the fact that they can sometimes be excellent casters, it takes some time more.
Best regards
Malik
Malik

Post by Malik »

Boisker wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:26 pm Thanks Malik, I’ve still got the video you sent me 3 years ago, that’s a great one for seeing what the final movement is…
I definitely fall in the camp of finding it easier if I can see what is happening, if I watch a vid enough I can start to get a feel for it…
I reckon I just need to tweak the timing… technically I was definitely making a mend earlier, so I think tomorrow it will fall into place.
Annoying I could make the cast 3 years ago, but have since lost it through too little practice😏
Hi Matt!
Thank you for sharing this process of trial and error, I think it's very enlightening for students and teachers alike ! 😀
Best regards
Malik
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

To have an efficient twist the rod tip must travel a small path to the right at the end of the lateral cast, if you lower the tip in front the fly will stop on the left, if you keep the tip at the right height and release the tension at the right moment the fly will go to the right.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vince,

The Tongariro Roll and the Perry Poke were simultaneously invented in different parts of the world. The 170 was reinvented separately. It’s always interesting to know the history behind them though. Frank and Jeff were having a competition to cast through a doorway. Jeff won :D However I didn’t understand the cast until I started to see videos of the Svirgolato.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Totally agree Malik. One of the problems from the beginning, is that many casters automatically compensate their actions to avoid tails. So concentrating on this element first seems to be important.

This is where instructors have an advantage because they have learned to cast tails on demand. But even then it’s not a fully controlled tail. One of the ways I teach instructor trainees to cast tails is to have them use the tail to cast (close to) vertical slack, as a substitute for a tuck cast. There is also another interesting use to skip flies into mangroves. It helps I think to have a purpose for the action, rather than just demonstrating a fault.

Having seen your saltwater use for the Svirgolato has really opened my eyes to its use. That is really outstanding and I hadn’t thought this possible.

Cheers!
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I showed the svirgolato (that's what they call it) maybe 25 maybe 30 years ago both at the s. fair. Etienne who in Denmark, I don't remember the name of the fair, accompanied Pozò for the demonstrations, really didn't have much interest and in the end I didn't use it anymore except to put the fly to the left easily which was the beginning from which it came , I don't know if anyone had the same idea before, then and even now in Italy the schools are not very close.

Return to “Flycasting”