PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Practice casting drills

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Boisker
Answers: 0

Practice casting drills

Post by Boisker »

I thought I’d start a new thread rather than side tracking the instructors thread…
3 years ago I’d been practicing a lot, for instructors qual and just to develop… in distance I’d maxed out at about 104, and apart from the odd outlier it wasn’t increasing. I know that was down to numerous small faults or improvements that were needed to push past that.
Since falling out of regular practice it seemed sensible to start more from the ground up. I’m not great without a structure, I too easily fall into playing about and not focussing on making those small adjustments… so I put this together as a stating point…

Does the above seem a sensible approach?

Having spent a couple of sessions on this I’ve dropped the 7th for a while…. It’s a bit depressing how sloppy my casting has got. I used to be able to comfortably throw tight loops with no haul with 50’ out the rod tip… they are as wonky as hell at the moment and have lots of ‘bounces i and tailing tendencies’ in the loops.

Do you notice a drop off if you stop practicing quite quickly? And is it usual to feel like your taking 1 step forward and 2 back when you initially try to change some small aspect of your technique?

I’m hoping it will all slip back into place fairly quickly… 😏
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Practice casting drills

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Matt,

If you are going to do something like a PUALD exercise, I’d recommend leader only and then increasing length in 6’ increments. Get to max and repeat. I suppose you could strip haul back again in 3’ increments.

With false casts an improved drill I think would be 10’ start vertical and then over 30, 60, 90 degrees, and then off shoulder same angles, two false casts at each position. Then add 5’ of line and continue etc.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Cheers Paul… bizarrely my puald is still ok, particularly at shorter distances… I think it’s because I fish mostly small rivers, it’s my most common cast as I minimise false casting when fishing… always amuses me how some members on club water routinely make a minimum of 4 false casts for a 20’ cast, some of them spend more time false casting than fly on the water😂

I’ll change my false casting exercise, it will also make it a bit more interesting… cheers

Funny how small but significant errors creep in when you just fish with no practice…. I suddenly noticed this morning that occasionally my relaxed hand/slight squeeze falls out of sync…. All fine, then out of the blue my back cast is relaxed, ‘squeeze’, and then I didn’t relax my grip on the forward cast… gawd knows how long ago I fell into that… 😏
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think I’ve ever been in a situation where I haven’t had a rod ready to go. Back of the car, back door, roof of the boat. Just pick up and go for 5 or 10 minutes.

What’s your warmup routine?

Incidentally I don’t know how you practice curves? I recommend around targets. Start short, then step back and repeat and so on. I would also practise that randomly too.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Number of reps may not always be the ideal way to tackle practice Matt. You’re going to “rep”, obviously, but the number of times you do it may not be the critical contributor to improving.

Pauls variable targets comment above fits this.

There is a drill in the MCI study guide for mends around cones. It is stolen from Mike Heritage who to my certain knowledge has used it for many years. Paul may have used it too, my apologies if it’s misattributed.

It isn’t rep dependent, it’s objective dependent. No cast in this drill is exactly the same and it gets progressively harder as the drill advances.

It’s clever too because there are some big plusses in this kind of exercise.

It has clear purpose, to drill for the out/in movement creating a mend around an obstacle and develop mend timing. Practice is “deliberate”

Because it is low incremental change, difficulty is progressive, therefore a caster is always working just at the edge of the performance envelope…which, if you’re looking for development, is exactly where we want them to be.

The caster doesn’t need anyone for feedback to tell if they’re succeeding or not, a “win” is easy for an instructor to explain and is independently observable.

Whilst the drill is at root one of variation, the caster has some independent choice and control over practice format. Once success is observed, it triggers a decision. A caster can decide to move on to the next stage or go back one stage or more and do it again. ie repeat(blocked) or move on/go back (vary). Caster has self determination.

Whatever the decision, it is reinforcing, each new stage reinforces skill developed at the last.

The fact that there is progressive difficulty is often motivating for casters, it’s a bit of fun, they want to get to the end, and the fact that the early stages are easy builds confidence that the later stages are achievable. That is, it encourages self efficacy and expansion of the range of control.

The alternative to this is to set the assessment task up and make x number of repeated attempts at the cones one after the other or in the required sequence.

I may do both but if I’m practicing I do Mikes drill first, every time. When I’m consistent, when I can roll through that one, the assessment task is way easier. Plus, one is really useful for fishing and passing the test, whereas the other is only really useful for passing the test. 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Paul/Mark…
Probably worth saying I hadn’t stopped practice completely, it was just reduced and focussed on fishing, rather than a ‘critical’ approach to slowly improve all aspects; so very little false casts, more puald at all angles upto 30’…. 30’ out the rod tip, with a 9’ rod and when fishing a 10-14’ leader is way further than I would ever cast on my local rivers… a real focus on side arm casting, because I use it the most (and I like watching the loop😂) plus basic presentation casts- curve mend, over powered etc.

What I hadn’t done is work on improving my tracking, power application etc that had resulted in me previously maxing out at 103-104’.

What I’ve noticed is my cast is still controlled, loop size as required for fishing distances as the stroke is compact and I’ve kept on practicing it; but it has deteriorated as I increase puald length and carry, tracking is worse and the translation in the stroke has deteriorated.

That’s why I’ve gone back to 30-40’ puald/carry, to make it better than it was before I stopped practicing longer distances.

Thanks for the comments, I’ll make some changes to how I practice and no doubt come back to you if something isn’t clicking.

In terms of practice- puald / false casting I practice against the cut square of a cricket wicket… a nice obvious straight line to check against. Curves I pick a target on the outfield… dandelion, twig etc and practice curving around different targets.

Although at the moment I’m actually practicing the set up part of svirgolato and trying to get the tailing loop set up repeatedly; with the odd overpowered curve or curve mend thrown in.

I don’t really have a set warm up Paul… something I should perhaps think about… I usually just have fun for a few mins, cast off to the side, puald with little line out, up to about 10’ line, corkscrew pickups, a few random speys…
I then try to focus on specific practice… that’s the theory, I’m easily distracted though and can easily fall into a sort of trance casting side arm just enjoying casting nice varied loops😏

At the moment the goal is to get my overhead as easy, relaxed and controlled as my side arm… I can cast a lovely side arm out to 70’ that looks and feels completely effortless compared to my overhead.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Paul/Mark…
Probably worth saying I hadn’t stopped practice completely, it was just reduced and focussed on fishing, rather than a ‘critical’ approach to slowly improve all aspects; so very little false casts, more puald at all angles upto 30’…. 30’ out the rod tip, with a 9’ rod and when fishing a 10-14’ leader is way further than I would ever cast on my local rivers… a real focus on side arm casting, because I use it the most (and I like watching the loop😂) plus basic presentation casts- curve mend, over powered etc.

What I hadn’t done is work on improving my tracking, power application etc that had resulted in me previously maxing out at 103-104’.

What I’ve noticed is my cast is still controlled, loop size as required for fishing distances as the stroke is compact and I’ve kept on practicing it; but it has deteriorated as I increase puald length and carry, tracking is worse and the translation in the stroke has deteriorated.

That’s why I’ve gone back to 30-40’ puald/carry, to make it better than it was before I stopped practicing longer distances.

Thanks for the comments, I’ll make some changes to how I practice and no doubt come back to you if something isn’t clicking.

In terms of practice- puald / false casting I practice against the cut square of a cricket wicket… a nice obvious straight line to check against. Curves I pick a target on the outfield… dandelion, twig etc and practice curving around different targets.

Although at the moment I’m actually practicing the set up part of svirgolato and trying to get the tailing loop set up repeatedly; with the odd overpowered curve or curve mend thrown in.

I don’t really have a set warm up Paul… something I should perhaps think about… I usually just have fun for a few mins, cast off to the side, puald with little line out, up to about 10’ line, corkscrew pickups, a few random speys…
I then try to focus on specific practice… that’s the theory, I’m easily distracted though and can easily fall into a sort of trance casting side arm just enjoying casting nice varied loops😏

At the moment the goal is to get my overhead as easy, relaxed and controlled as my side arm… I can cast a lovely side arm out to 70’ that looks and feels completely effortless compared to my overhead.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

What does Puald mean?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Pick Up And Lay Down

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated