PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Paul teaching OSD and 170

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Paul teaching OSD and 170

Post by Paul Arden »

Don’t know. It is immaterial to me. I go direct from OSD to 170. There is no need for a “half gear change”. OSD carries 86’ and throws 115-120’. 170 carries 94 and throws 120’+ Why would you not just change gears? Add wind to the equation and there is no comparison. I suppose if you haven’t learned the 170 then you might try to expand upon OSD but nowadays it’s very unlikely you’ll be competitive in this event, with very few exceptions.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
I would be careful with that. I agree, that Steve struggled big time to constantly unroll his MED5 into the tailwind in Cumbria. But 2012 he was quite good in Norway. There was strong tail wind, too. In windless conditions a smaller arc, but shooting line can bring the whole head in a proper back position. Look at the US Open results this year! I have seen it before anyway.
My own longest casts went 44 (170), 43 (170) and 42,5 (no hauling in my bc, but massive pb and shooting). All three in serious tail wind.
A lot now are dancing back and forth, ok. Might help since it shortens the line travel. But Ronny was able to stay in position and fully unroll his back casts. So was Eric Forsberg in Cumbria. I filmed both. Very impressive dealing with wind. No bodybuilders, both. Great techniques. I believe there will always be different ways. But yet Ronny hit highest distance in the WC, I think. Bernt hit the same, but one meter above the surface helps a tiny tiny bit, I think.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it’s a pity Ronny doesn’t compete any more. Who knows if he would be casting the same way now or different. I’m guessing different. 12 years is a long time in this sport and I don’t think anyone involved is standing still.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Standing still in terms of not stepping back and forth or trying different styles? 😊
Let's see when stepping back and forth enters salmon distance. 😊
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Standing still as in not improving/developing. Always when you get a bunch of people trying to throw further then everyone gets better. There is a huge difference in skills between now and 20 years ago. Also we have gone from having a small handful of very competitive people, to a considerable number. I think it’s very exciting and I’m curious to see where it goes next. It certainly has been an education!

You’ll already see stepping in overhead distance. Stepping is not particularly new but the sequence of stepping is relatively new. What really drew attention to it for many I think was the PUALD comp that was held online. But I think there may be some bigger changes coming than that. We shall see.

Gotta go to town. Short run today.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I agree Paul. I have only cast the MED in WCs in 2018 and 2022, but know I cannot be competitive without stepping and using the 170 in the MED event. I take 3 steps now in all one hand (MED, 27 gram and 38 gram) and two hand (55 gram and 120 gram) casting events. I land on my haul hand foot though.

I admit to being a slow learner,

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

John Waters wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:16 am I cannot be competitive without stepping and using the 170 in the MED event.
Hi John,
An interesting quote to me. Looks like you aren't alone in that your conclusion and many would even add to use a very stiff rod.

So that's were that event seems to have arrived today. 🤔
Exactly part of my initial thoughts in the other thread.
Cheers
B
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s where distance casting technique has developed/is developing. It’s the same for me with a softer rod, although a slightly wider arc. Very interesting times. But it’s always been interesting, first with the development of the 170 Stroke and MED and now with lengthening the stroke.

When I was first throwing 170 I was closed stance stepping. I’m convinced the haul is better this way.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:02 am
John Waters wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:16 am I cannot be competitive without stepping and using the 170 in the MED event.
Hi John,
An interesting quote to me. Looks like you aren't alone in that your conclusion and many would even add to use a very stiff rod.

So that's were that event seems to have arrived today. 🤔
Exactly part of my initial thoughts in the other thread.
Cheers
B
Hi Bernd,

Stiffer rod, yes certainly relative to the labelled 5 weight rods for sale in the tackle shop. Everything evolves, casting the MED in competition included. Who knows what it will be in the future, and how I will adapt to whatever it is, is the fun of casting sport for me.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s funny how much criticism there was over the 170 20 years ago. “He’s doing it the wrong way!” “Goes a long way but the loops are ugly” :D

The respective elements completely transform shot taking and dealing with the wind.

Aside from the wind nonsense I did think we had hit a distance wall but I’m not so sure now. What I find really interesting about distance casting is how technical it is. There aren’t too many throwing sports where you can still be competitive in our age group.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”