PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Line recomendation for helios 11' 8 weight

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Alun Lovell
Answers: 0

Line recomendation for helios 11' 8 weight

Post by Alun Lovell »

I'm after a line for an impulse eBay purchase. I'm planning on taking it to Argentina for sea trout fishing. It's a switch rod rated 360-485 grains. I'm not planning on dredging with it so a straight floater is all I really need
ChrisK

Re: Line recomendation for helios 11' 8 weight

Post by ChrisK »

Weight could vary a lot depending on head style. Winds can be very strong down south, have you done much two hand casting? Or do you have a line type that you're looking for?
Alun Lovell

Post by Alun Lovell »

I've done a bit of 2 handed casting my go to setup is a 14 foot 9 weight TCR which I find pairs well with the Rio AFS. I'm told the wind is predominantly downstream but I've been told that before! I'm hoping to fish single handed as there is a distinct lack of trees but will take a variety of rods as all fishers do.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

With the caveat that I’ve never cast the rod in question, I find that choosing a line some where in the middle of the recommended grain range often fits a Scandi style cast. For this I’d use a 35’ (or there about) shooting head system.
There are many good ones out there and I’m in particular familiar with Scientific Anglers’ products. They may be a little clumsy to cast, but they’re no denying that Skagit lines are really good when it’s really windy. They can easily be cast Scandi style, but if you want to cast more “real” Skagit style, go for something in the upper range of the weight recommendations. SA makes the brilliantly named Skagit, which I’ve used and can vouch for. They also cast a floating top as well. They don’t make a floating tip, but the I/S2 doesn’t fish deep at all on a swing.

Lars

PS. Full disclosure, I’m connected wit SA

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”