PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Beginner's Study Guide for Classes

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Beginner's Study Guide for Classes

Post by Paul Arden »

I would start them casting in lesson 1 and then they can practise for all those months until the season begins. I’ve often started beginners fly fishing days with flytying or even netting the stream with a small net to catch insect larvae. But there are many ways to do it. I do think that the biggest hurdle for anyone taking up fly fishing is fly casting. Unless you’re going to teach them FNing of course :D

Cheers, Paul

* French Nymphing
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carol
Answers: 0

Post by Carol »

Task Analysis (TA)

Identifying the Target Skill. ...
Identifying the Prerequisite Skills of the Learner and the Materials Needed to Teach the Task. ...
Breaking the Skill into Components. ...
Confirming that the Task is Completely Analyzed. ...
Determining How the Skill Will be Taught. ...
Implementing Intervention and Monitoring Progress.
This is a good way to think about it, Mark. Thanks.

-Carol
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:06 pm I would start them casting in lesson 1 and then they can practise for all those months until the season begins. I’ve often started beginners fly fishing days with flytying or even netting the stream with a small net to catch insect larvae. But there are many ways to do it. I do think that the biggest hurdle for anyone taking up fly fishing is fly casting. Unless you’re going to teach them FNing of course :D

Cheers, Paul

* French Nymphing
I already gave them a group casting lesson to include a video of each student. The reason for the indoor classes is that, unlike where you are, it get cold up here in the winter. Not everyone is as crazy as I was that winter I took zoom lessons while standing on a frozen lake!
FFI - CCI
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Weather is a real pain… I’ve managed to practice once in the last week…. it has been continuously windy and wet, culminating tomorrow with a forecast for 50-55mph winds and 95% chance of heavy rain… I won’t be practicing tomorrow 😂
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Not everyone is as crazy as I was that winter I took zoom lessons while standing on a frozen lake!
I thought you’d have them all casting outdoors from their decks :laugh:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”