PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Further skills development

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

easterncaster
Answers: 0

Re: Further skills development

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:07 pm
A great book Craig. Thoroughly recommended!

Cheers, Paul
Ordered myself a book for Xmas just moments ago. Looking forward to the pictures... :D :whistle:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great, Craig. The other two books (that Mark recommended) are “How we Learn to Move” by Rob Gray, and “The Language of Coaching” by Nick Winkelman. Depends how big your stocking is but at some point in the next 6 months I’d recommend them. By which point I hope to have some more Classics in my library :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Vince is the best book source Paul, I’m only the messenger.

Another good starter is Practice Perfect by Lemov which was recommended by Dayle Mazzarella in the Loop in about 2011. Dayle tried to persuade the FFI to adopt some of the strategies outlined in that and a few other coaching books but got trumped by the “authorities” and it went nowhere. Precisely, just like now, because they believed the casting literature already had it covered…it doesn’t. 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s fine. I don’t care about what the FFI decides.

You know Mark, some time ago, I realised that if I was going to have a meaningful argument with you then I was going to have to read the same books :laugh: And as a consequence of this, I’ve had my eyes opened and become a far better instructor. I can also see my limitations - which are many! – but at the same time, thanks for opening my eyes.

Cheers,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Happy to just be here Paul, SL has positively influenced a hell of a lot of people, did for me anyway…🙂 I hope it continues to do so.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Like Mark,I haven’t walked a mile in your flip flops without socks, so I’ll have a wild arsed guess.

To get to the distance you mentioned, your students will have extended their range of movement and been focused on movement speed at the expense of movement accuracy and timing. Learning Spey teaches a skill where accuracy and timing is paramount. Perhaps a connection is made that there are benefits for distance casting trading between speed of movement, accuracy of movement and that a slower more accurate movement makes timing much easier.

https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/exce ... -trade-off

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think I might have to read to whole book Vince!

SL just turned 25 this year Mark. I’m hoping there is another 40+ years in these tanks to keep pushing it forward.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

focused on movement speed at the expense of movement accuracy and timing.
Better guess than mine 🙂
Casting Definitions

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

Setting aside the loop plane, distance performance is a function of haul hand and rod hand speed. Movement timing, or sequencing, determines that speed outcome. They are dependent, and for me, that linkage is the interesting coaching challenge.

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:02 pm
Maybe this makes you help to understand why reading books from other sports in my view is logically uncommon.
The books recommended are about motor skills learning, how people learn to move.

I would humbly suggest that common logic dictates that anyone who wants to teach people to move would benefit from studying how people learn to move. The two things being closely connected.
Hi Mark (and Paul),

https://www.buecher.de/shop/buecher/imp ... /48494559/

Here you find a book presenting a study rated with best note by the university Konstanz about implicit and explicit learning of motor skills and how to best connect the scientific knowledge with exercising in real teaching.

Great book, worth reading for anyone teaching movements in sports.

Let's talk about it when you finished learning German, technical German in particular, and have worked your way thru it.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Teaching”